Does Deconditioning = Pots?

all4family

For me POTS=deconditioning. I worked a 14 hour day, had ablation, then it was over. I've had 2 PT's refuse to work with me, stating I was too deconditioned and in no shape to get that way. The second one laughed when I told him what the first one said, till he worked with me. Then he didn't find it amusing.

I had a CPET several years ago (a test that puts you on a treadmill while breathing in a machine to see if you are hyperventilating and causing your problems.) The doctor pulled me off after 3.5 minutes when my heart rate hit 200 and I was collapsing. He called my primary and said I was incredibly deconditioned, but I do NOT hyperventilate and with the tachycardia I have, I will never be able to get proper conditioning. He said something was very wrong with my electrical system and it wasn't in my head. It was one of the very few times I have felt validated by a doctor.

And he was right, I have never tolerated even the simplest exercises since my ablation. The last time I tried, I broke my shoulder and 3 ribs when I went down.

It's different for everyone, but I do not believe that being deconditioned ever has caused a case of POTS. morgan

Hi everyone, Thanks for your replies. Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner, I haven't been doing very good.

Hi dizzyde, yeah me too. I don't go to the fitness test, except once in a while if I think I am really ballanced that day then I try, and it actually was much closer to my age then. I felt better though, because my son who was 8 at the time did his test, and it said he was 87. But I don't think he understood what he was supposed to be trying to do. I like when new exercises get unlocked also.

Hi Katja, If you don't mind my asking what is the distal autonomic neuropathy? I hope you don't have the EDS, but if you do I hope you get it diagnosed. It seems so many people have so many reasons for there POTS. None of which ever seem to be from deconditioning. I have positive blood tests also that SHOULD prove my symptoms to the doctors who want to assign there own causes, but just getting them to listen! I'm sure you know how that goes. My TTT was second to my blood test. Thank you for sharing.

Hi Morgan, I am so sorry for all that you have been through. I can't believe they call that deconditioning. Deconditioning happens when your body is inactive for to long I thought. It sounds obvious to me that it was caused from the ablation. I am glad the doctor validated you when he said there is definatly something wrong with your electrical system. It is bad enough to feel so sick, but to be told it is in your head is like stepping on you when you are down. Sorry you went down and broke bones. I am always afraid I will hit my head, and make matters worse. Oh would you mind telling me what the ablation is? I did read about it on another post, but don't remember exactly.

Suzy

Suzy,

Ablation is when they thread a catheter through vessels in your groin up into your heart and ablate or "burn" and scar areas they think are causing rhythm problems. It is a wonderful treatment for certain conditions, but POTS is almost never one of them. I was never the same. morgan

Hi morgan, I am so sorry. Did they do that to try and fix problems that were caused by possibly POTS? Or was it something else it was done for? That breaks my heart when someone does something to try and improve problems they are having, only for them to be made worse, or add new ones that didn't exist before. That was how I was with the medications given to me. They just made my problems worse. Did it at least fix the problem they were trying to fix?

Take care,

Suzy