Guidance From Those Who Have Tried Ddavp

Patricia

For those of you that have tried DDAVP, why was it prescribed for you? I did a search and it seems for POTS folks, it is often, if not mostly, used for those that "pee" their fluids off most of the day. I drink 72 oz. a day and usually only go 4 times a day, but wondered if it was prescribed also frequently just to try and raise blood pressure? It has been suggested as an option for me lately, but I rarely see it mentioned.

Thanks for any info. you can give me! ;)

Patricia

Patricia,

I was prescribed dDAVP because I had frequent urination combined with a low urine osmolality (thin, pale urine, mostly water) and a high serum osmolality(thick blood.) My nephrologist tried me on it to see if it would help to stop me from losing all my body fluids in my urine. Three of my docs (PCP, endo #1, and Vandy doc) think that it is truly a condition called Diabetes Insipidus, two other endocrinologists do not think that it is.

Despite the debate, dDAVP does cause my kidneys to retain fluid and concentrate my urine to "normal" levels. It is a synthetic version of our own hormone vasopressin, which the pituitary gland secretes in response to increased blood thickness.

The problem with dDAVP is that it can cause you to retain so much fluid that your blood sodium level drops to unhealthy levels (hyponatremia.) It can raise your BP by shear volume expansion, but you NEED regular bloodwork to monitor your sodium/potassium levels. If you try it, it should only last 8-12 hours and you will probably "dump" all the gained fluid once it stops working. You need to drink enough that you still urinate while you are on it, but don't over-drink. Look into hyponatremia/hyperkalemia and KNOW the symptoms! You can adjust your own sodium/potassium intake once you know what if feels like for them to be "off."

I LOVE dDAVP! I'd be running to the bathroom every 20 minutes if I did not have it!

I've used it for years successfully to stop dehydration issues. My endocrinologist gave me samples years ago when I had read some articles on it helping ..and bless his heart he was open to it.

been using it ever since.

I would LITERALLY pee every 10 -15 minute some days and lose 5 lbs of fluids while away and get so weak.

Thanks everyone. So, from what I can tell except Ernie, it IS for those of us POTS folks that pee freqently which I don't feel I do unless under a lot of stress. I have had 24 hour urines and nothing abnormal was mentioned. My sodium serum levels fall on the low normal end. I don't push too much salt ( 2.5 gms. per day usually, though hard for me to get it in foods everyday ) because my body has not seemed to like too much salt.

This has been suggested as a general POTS treatment; not specific to me. In the past, when I have retained fluid, I have had hyperadrenergic reactions; one serious for weeks......not good.

Still trying to figure this one out!