Type Of Mattress

Ernie

Hi,

I am trying to figure out what mattress I should get for my new hospital bed. I had the viscoelastic mattress for 2 months and it was causing me major joint pain.

I have been shopping for a few days and there are 3 types: spring, foam, latex.

I seem to be always choosing the cheapest (without looking at the price) because they are the fluffiest. The salesperson tell me that they won't last more than 5 years. The better ones last about 10 years (latex) but I don't find myself as comfortable.

What type of mattress do you feel comfortable on?

I know nothing about mattresses for a hospital bed, but this is what I know about mattresses in general.

I find that I need a pillow top mattress that has to be soft. For years I had a very hard mattress that was supposed to be "good" for your back. The moment I switched to a softer mattress, my need for sleep decreased.

I think the latex mattresses and the memory foam ones are awful, because they don't help my joints at all and force me to remain in an uncomfortable position for a long period of time because I can't "fidget" my joints back into place during the night.

Find a mattress that is comfy for you. If it's the cheap one, get the cheap one. If that means you get a mattress every five years, then get one every five years- but at least you're comfortable.

Sara

Hi,

Can you get any type of air/inflatable mattress? Those are often about the only "comfortable" form of hospital bed I have heard of. They help to alleviate from putting all of your body's pressure on a few bony points of your body. It would also probably help to form a small bit of "muscle pump" or blood flow back to the rest of your body as the air moves around. I will have to look later at some of my notes to see what other tidbits I may have. But, characteristicly hospital beds are not very comfortable and are not meant to be in for extended lengths of time. I wonder if it would be worth looking at websites/forums for people with conditions that make them stay in their beds all the time (bedridden) or for a long recovery etc. and see what they prefer?

Is there anywhere to try some of them out?

I hope you can find something comfortable to work for you! ;)

in general I do best with an inner spring with a pillowtop. I need some give to avoid pressure points, but too soft, and my back hurts/I get sciatica. I tried memory foam briefly, but kept waking up with sciatica. So we have an upper-end sealy inner-spring--relatively firm, but with a little padding on the top.

My parents recently invested in a memory foam mattress for their new bed. They both love it so they suggested I try it out and they would get one for me too. They were lovely and slept in the spare room for 2 nights so I could try their bed. I hated it! At first it had a lovely sinking feeling and I felt really snug but I tend to shift about alot during the night and with memory foam I had to get uncomfortable enough to wake me up so that I could change positions.

My bed at my parents house is just one half of the bunk-beds that we had when I was a kid. It isa pine frame with slatted base. I have a "firm" sprung mattress on it and then a 3cm thick topper pad that is lovely and soft. This way I sink into the soft topper but still have the firm support underneath (soft sprung mattresses give me bad back pain).

I have a similar set-up in my flat. The flat came furnished so there is a metal frame double bed with a very firm sprung mattress. I went to Ikea and bought a mattress topper and now it is much more comfortable (before it was so hard that I got bruises on any bony bits despite being overweight!).

Hope you find a comfy mattress,

Flop

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your suggestions.

I decided to try a pillow mattress, which is a 2" mattress that I put over my regular mattress. I tried the most expensive, which was too hard, and decided to try the cheapest which I like very much. So tomorrow I will return the expensive one and keep the cheap one.

If it wouldn't be for all my meds which cost a fortune, I would consider myself an unexpensive woman!