Pots And Possible Salmonella?

Angelika_23

I am feeling awful. I became violently ill on Friday night, was doubled over with stomach cramps and had diarrhea. On Saturday, was still feeling bad, then started with the POTSy stuff, dizziness, etc. I haven't been out of bed since Saturday afternoon. I have had diarrhea through last night. This morning, nothing so far. But I haven't eaten, either. At first, I was concerned about a possible C-diff infection since I just got off the Z-pack about a week ago. Then, this morning on the news they were talking about a salmonella outbreak in foods that contain peanut butter (not commercial peanut butter in jars though). We buy those little packages of cheese peanut butter crackers in bulk, and eat them for snacks. I ate a lot of them last week at work, one pack a day, (stress eating), and now am wondering if I might have salmonella. I checked the web for the brand I have, and yep, they are one of the brands being pulled off shelves.

I am really concerned about getting dehydrated, I get that way so quickly. My POTS stuff is acting up because my body is under asssault. Has anyone here had any experience like this? If so, how did you fix it? I have got to get my body out of this tailspin. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Angela

The important thing with any illness and POTS is to keep hydrated. You need to drink extra water to replace the fluids you are loosing as diarrhoea. Also it is likely that your electrolytes will get out of balance if the stomach upset is severe, drinking pedialyte will put back the sodium and potassium that you loose.

If you are still ill I would give your doctor a call, they can send some of the stool off to the lab to see if it is salmonella but the doctor may also want to check your electrolytes or consider IVs if you are dehydrated.

I hope that whatever it is, it settles quickly! One tip to avoid spreading this type of bug to others is to wash your hands frequently using a towel just for you to dry them on, also wipe down taps and doorhandles with a disinfectant regularly to get rid of any bugs hiding there.

take care,

Flop

I think I might have the same thing, but am not sure. I eat a lot of those same crackers, and on Saturday I got really sick with stomach cramps and diarrhea, I am doing better now though. Is there even anything doctors can do for salmonella?

hmm...I hope thats not what either of us have, but even if it is, we just have to be sure to take care of ourselves!

I hope you are feeling better soon!

-Mary

Funny, I have food poisoning or some kind of stomach virus myself, though I haven't eaten the crackers or any kind of peanut butter. Things were really bad on Sat, but I have been slowly improving since then. Now I'm holding things down, but I haven't been in the mood to eat or drink much, but trying to force myself. Sitting up some, but mostly sleeping or in bed. Hopefully with some rest and rehydration, we will all be feeling better. Get well soon!

Went to the doctor. They said to wait until Friday, and if I'm not better to go get some labwork done. They were obviously not concerned about me getting dehydrated, didn't even check. I have been drinking G2, that's all I have here besides Ginger Ale which helps calm my stomach.

Thanks for the thoughts, and I hope everyone feels better!