Gallbladder Surgery

dizzygirl

hello everybody! I hope that you all had happy holidays for those that celebrate!

Hmmm So i had a HIDA scan done uh 2 wks ago i think...well i went to the docs to get my test results and it shows my gallbladder function is 9% (i think i should lack of working)

Uhm he is recommending that it comes out.. I'm now waiting on an appointment with a surgeon....

SO.. I thought before my appointment I'd hope on here and ask a few questions so i can get all my ducks in a row....

For those of you who've had your GB taken out...how'd you do after surgery?

And for those of you who have neck/chiari issues... how did you work around intubation? b/c my neck doesnt not turn well to the right.. and having my head bend back or even tilted (i know i will be out but stilll) having my head back causing me problems.. and considering that i have compression on my brain stem.. I dont want some dummy.. who cant pay attention to what i say think he'she is god! ya know what i mean?

can they intubate with your head sideways (i can trun to the left OK...)

Did you all have this done as a same day surgery? that makes me feel really nervous! I know that it is common now days for this to be done same day...

DO IV fluids before surgery help with pots afterwards?

I guess I want to know your expereince and pointers as far as recovery goes before i go in!

Its really sad to see the number of years it took me to get some one to take me gallbladder pain seriously! and i had a hida scan done 3-31/2 yrs ago and they said my gb was fine! though the test i had some this time was done differently!! I mean i think its taken some time for myGB to be functioning low.. SO I'm guessing that in 2005 that this thing wasnt functioning to snazzy then either!!

thanks.... I might post more questions later...

Congratulations on your non-functioning organ!

I had mine out in 2000 without much of a problem. It was an "outpatient" surgery (lapriscopic) and I was home the same afternoon. Recovery was two days of severe abdominal swelling (they pump you full of gas to "see" where they are going) and moderate pain (nothing compared to the pain of the gallbladder attacks.) I was back to normal within a week.

What will be most important for you is to talk to the anesthesiologist!!!!!

Bring your chart, make an appointment and make him aware of your issues! That way he can watch for sudden BP changes and all the POTSy stuff as well as your chiari issues. Don't let them pooh-pooh you or put you off. If he won't take you seriously, demand another facility or anesthesiologist.

My life is so much better without that little pain-maker! My gallbladder ceased to function when I was six years old, I suffered for 22 years! Once it is out, watch your fat intake. Within 30 minutes of your first high-fat foods you will be desperate to go to the bathroom, and you will not be able to hold it! :) That settles down after the first year.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Dizz,

So sorry to hear you need GB surgery, but glad you'll have relief after. This could be a large part of your nausea problem.

Back in early 2001 they told me mine was working at 60%, and nothing about surgery was mantioned. I guess that's pretty good compared to a lot of folks here who had severe GB issues. My GB has probably hung on because I rarely eat a significant amount of fat. I don't like Butter, and what little fats I do eat are smart fats---like Smart balance, olive oil ect.

One in a while I break down and eat a few fries-----very rarely. Last night I fell off the wagon and ate a few steak fries my husband got with his meal. I didn't notice a problem, but if I eat a few chips on occasion I will wake up with that sour stomach, and a bloated gut.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how well someone eats, as POTs folks tend to have GB issues anyway. I just hope mine hangs in there as long as possible----so I just try to eat right anyway---- ;)

Keep in close contact with the anesthesiologist, and don't let them jack you around. The brain stem compression is some serious stuff, and needs to be taken SERIOUSLY. Caution needs to be taken with intubation. There's other issues to consider also, as brain stem compression causes apnea---- :)------- then you have your POTS issues.

Anyone can look and your neck and see you have problems. You barely have one Dizz--- :o

Maxine :0)