Antibiotics

gertie

Is there any 1 antibiotic that is less likely to cause an allergic reaction? Over the years I've tried everything from A-Z & have experienced everything from rash, itching, fainting, throat closing etc. I looked through the things that help list & didn't see a reference to antibiotics. Any help appreciated.

Guest Sandy Sims
Is there any 1 antibiotic that is less likely to cause an allergic reaction? Over the years I've tried everything from A-Z & have experienced everything from rash, itching, fainting, throat closing etc. I looked through the things that help list & didn't see a reference to antibiotics. Any help appreciated.

Again, try drugs.com to look to see if an antibiotic you've been given and HAVE had an allergic reaction to is of the same "class" of drugs as a new one you're trying. If this is too much trouble just use the same pharmachist at all times in a durg store that keeps records and tell them all the allergic reactions you've had--then they will get a "flag" in thier computer when you try to fill an RX for a drug in the same class.

Sulfa drugs gave me problems--suddenly.

Cipro--a quinilone-- does not.

But everyone is different.

The one they use on babies most often for safety is amoxil (amoxillin).

It seems to be the safest--but is also the weakest for killing bacteria.

Again, maybe you should be asking why you need them so often instead? Again, for me it was out of control blood sugar wrecking my immune response due to viatmin def it caused with adrenal surges.

Hope this helps!

Sandy

More than the antibiotic itself, has been the DOSE for me. If I take amoxillin I need to only take it a 250mg and oly three times a day. It has always worked effectively (must take for full 5-7 days as prescribed) as a larger dose, but I do not have the side effects.

Another one that I do fine on is Zithromax, but again pediatric dosing.

Hi Alicia,

I would ask your doctors to check their records to see what antibiotics it was that you reacted to. It may be that there is one group of antibiotics that you are allergic to but others may be safe. I get lots of side-effects (nausea, diarrhoea) to most antibiotics but I havn't had an allergic reaction.

It is worth keeping a list of all the meds you are prescribed and any reactions or side-effects so that next time you need an antibiotic you can check what has been okay for you in the past. One of the issues will be that different antibiotics kill different types of bugs so amoxil for a respiratory problem probably won't work for a urine infection.

Hope you get some info from your doctor or pharmacist,

flop