Diarrhoea And Pots?

tsampa

Hi,

diarrhoea was a constant problem for me for several years, my doctors mostly ignored it and I assumed it was all part of my POTS.

I haved recently been seeing a complimentary health practitioner who has done some GI testing on me. She thinks that I am intolerant of gluten and dairy so I am currently on a no-dairy, no-grain diet. Things seem to have improved dramatically as I now only go 4 times a day (was about 12) and have proper formed stools most of the time. It is hoped that when my bowels have had a rest I may be able to slowly re-introduce dairy and see if my body will tolerate it. What I have is not an allergy to dairy, just that at the moment my guts can't cope with trying to digest dairy.

One thing that I haven't taken yet (as things settled with just the diet changes) but she recommended was to take bentonite clay. It is supposed to calm the bowels and I think it helps with water absorption in the bowels as well so is supposed to make the stools more solid.

I wouldn't try drastic diet changes without talking to a health practitioner of some sort though as you need to be careful that what you do eat still contains the right nutrients (eg I'm having to take calcium supplements as I have no milk at the moment).

Flop

When I am having trouble with POTS, I have severe stomach issues - diarrhea and nausea being the main problem. When my POTS is behaving, I have issues with constipation. I figure it all evens out in the end. Taking Imodium clogs me up for a week, so it's not worth it to me, and I just suffer through. Thankfully, the diarrhea usually only lasts about a half a day- but it definitely puts a damper on any plans.

I don't drink any milk, as I have tested to be lactose intolerant. I also can't have barley or malt, so there is probably some gluten intolerance associated as well. I can't have any fake sugar. Aspartame, Xylitol, and other sugar alcohols can cause severe diarrhea, so cut them out of your diet if you're eating them. Eating easy to digest foods tends to help as well. The BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast) can help a touchy stomach.

Sara