New Polar Heart Monitor

iheartcats

My husband bought me a wireless Polar Heart Monitor (I think I was driving him nuts stopping to manually to take my HR).

But boy have I found out my HR varies more than I thought. And it's rather said when it's below 120 I feel somewhat 'ok' - when it gets above 120 is the dizzy/fatigue.

Some days are much better than others (sitting 75-90, standing 95-120)...others not so great (sitting 85-100, standing 114-145).

I also noticed after going up and down stairs/walking farther in the morning especially, it can get to 150 and even spikes in the 170s! But it goes down fairly quickly when I stop to rest. Still that's very scary.

I watch it jump 3-40 BMP when standing from either a sitting or reclined position.

I'm glad I have this, and can even now 'show' people why I feel so horrid, but it's a tad stressful knowing how bad my heart rate does get. I know there are other symptoms of POTS and I have them, but the HR is so literal and scary.

Does anyone else use these? And do any of you have extreme variations in rates like I do, even from day to day?

Yup, I use one on a regular basis on the days I can't take the beta-blocker (allergy shots) and it is an eye opener! I have BIG spikes in HR in the morning 50+ bpm, but what is scary to me is how slow it gets when I am lying down (40-50 bpm.) Stairs will send me into the 140's easy. Night time is the best for me, I get much less variation. I wondered after I got my 24 hour Holter results if they were a true representation or not, and after using the monitor I know they are. Don't fret too much it is "normal" for "us."

I think it's one of those situations where I knew my HRs weren't great and were all over the place, but now I can verify it!

It does help me for my medicine adjustments - I can tell if something is helping more than I used to be able to - but I have to get past worrying about it 'flying up' when I'm taking stairs in the morning.

The hard and cold facts in front of you are sometimes hard to deal with. When you know it's bad but have no proof, your just 'deal.'

Like I've said before, I don't like this POTS thing. :(

Hi,

I bought a Polar about 6 weeks ago and I wear it all the time. My HR varies also when I am reclining, lying down or sitting. It varies of about 10 b.p.m.. When I stand up it also jumps 20-40 bpm. I am on about 17 medication and I still have HR and BP variations. I still can't stand for long (5 minutes).

Guest tearose

I too have used a Polar for years. Just a suggestion as you get use to it. Think of it as taking away the need for you to be aware of your heart rate. Leave the issue to the watch so to speak. I set my low alarm at 40 and my high at 145. If I hear the alarm then I know to sit down or take some kind of action. I only look at mine when I am feeling funky rhythms or am curious. But I don't monitor my heartrate, the watch does that now. I find it has taken away concern. I hope you adjust and feel a sense of peace once you get use to it.

best regards,

tearose

Hi Cat Lady,

I began wearing a Polar heart rate monitor a few months ago, when I suspected I had POTS, and it was instrumental in my diagnosis. I was only diagnosed a couple of weeks ago, after a negative tilt table test (must have been a "good day") and many doctors telling me I was fine. Once I purchased the unit I decided to document the crazy spikes in heart rate, just like yours (65bpm supine, 120-150 standing, 150+ climbing stairs, 170+ after a 10-minute shower, etc.). I used my cell phone to video tape the spikes in one instance and posted it on YouTube to ask others if they thought I too had dysautonomia. Once I showed the video to my DysDoc, he diagnosed POTS on the spot. You can see the video here:

I believe it is essential for those yet undiagnosed and suffering with dysautonomia symptoms to document them as accurately as possible, so doctors don't brush them off as "all in your head". Video doesn't lie. Another benefit of the heart rate monitor is, as you mentioned, the ability to identify triggers and causes of high heart rate, thus learning to avoid them. Besides all of the wonderful recommendations I've received from fellow sufferers, like fluids, salt and pursed-lip breathing, I've personally found that squatting helps tremendously when you cannot sit or lie down, if your knees can handle it. Squatting down, with knees completely bent, sitting on my heals and balancing myself on my toes and remaining in that position drops my heart rate instantly from any high number down to almost normal, and stays that way as long as I remain in that position. I get plenty of funny looks while I'm squatting in line at the bank, but who cares. It absolutely works.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, as it has only taken 3 months for me to be diagnosed, as compared to years for others. Without the heart rate monitor I suspect I would still be undiagnosed. I've been on Verapamil now for a couple of weeks and although I'll never be cured, I can now at least almost function as a human. Cudos to your husband for the purchase. Smart man!

Simmy

I agree it was nerve racking at first when I started wear my heart monitor. To see it jump to 145 when I try and walk around or even cook dinner was disheartening.

I found myself becoming more "angry" with my heart ... with this whole miserable body! at times.

But gradually I became use to seeing the fluctuations and I adopted a much gentler relationship with my heart rate. I understand that my heart is doing exactly what it needs to do to keep me from passing out cold. It's working the way it should -- given the way my body is right now.

Like others I use the heart monitor to help me guage when to take a break and sit or lie down. I wore mine (I have the Mark of Fittness wrist/finger device) to the Doctor's office last week. My heart rate went up to 145 as I was standing still for the scale. When the nurse took my pulse in the exam room, she looked a bit worried and said ... "I clock you at 105". I smiled and showed her the display on my left hand and replied "You are exactly right!" And explained that with my POTS that was all normal.

"Normal" just doesn't look like what we all thought it would! :-)

Good luck settling in to your new gizmo.

~EM

Hi, i have had my polar heart rate monitor for about three years now and I love it. Because i have had it for so long- i am used to the crazy changes in my heart rate and come to expect them- but it is easy to get obsessed over my rates. It helps me to determine what is going on when i feel bad and lessens my anxiety. I also wear it daily to monitor my rate because i do not take meds and i don't want my heart rate to get too high for too long. I have it beep at rest so i know when my heart is back to a normal resting rate and at 160 so i know to slow down or sit down. (although i try to slow down around 145/150) For me it is an important part of my wardrobe and i feel lost with out it.

Once I showed the video to my DysDoc, he diagnosed POTS on the spot. You can see the video here:

Simmy

That was awesome...I've never even thought too look through YouTube. I remember when I was diagnosed I was like, What The...? I read a lot of medical things online but hadn't come across that.

Well, it's comforting to know we all have the same symptoms. I can't avoid stairs, and it gets very high, but it goes down quickly. I tell myself at least my leg muscles are getting exercise!

You do feel so out of it and abnormal with the fluctuations. It's hard to get anyone to understand so I'm glad at least I can have my Polar to know what's going on and do what I can.

Thanks again, everyone. I'm less afraid of it now.

Is Polar the brand name of the watch? Where can you buy them?

JJH

Guest tearose

Some answers to your questions of me:

Polar is the brand and you can get them at the sports authority or any of that type of store. They also have a website.

I have a few of these since I have needed them for several years. I rotate since the strap needs to air out once in awhile and also, the battery needs to be replaced once every two years and so you mail them in for service. I am very pleased with the quality and longevity of these. They were about $100, the newest one was only about $60.

link to website: http://www.polar-usa-sales.com/

The "Target" is the oldest model and the other I think it model "FS1".

Hope this helps.

tearose

The Polar heart rate monitor was the best $70 I ever spent. Not only did it assist me in identifying the causes of high heart rate, but what helps to lower it too. But I've also discovered some really strange things occurring.

Before I began my medication, when I'd walk on the treadmill my hr would hover around 95bpm. The instant I stopped walking it shot up to 130 and above. Walk again and it goes back into the 90's, stop and it shoots up. Over and over again. Evidently, this is because while we're walking we're physically pushing the blood in our legs back up, but the moment we stop it settles back down.

Another thing that I found odd was sneezing - one sneeze adds about 10bpm, two sneezes 20bpm, and three sneezes in a row has increased my hr by as much as 32bpm. Of course, it settles back down within a minute. Raising my arms above my head and moving them about (as in brushing hair) will also add some 20bpm.

The most drastic and incredible change for me is how quickly it drops when I lie down or squat, like after climbing a flight of stairs and hitting 150, it drops to 100 within 10 seconds of lying down or squatting, and way down to 60 only 20 seconds after that.

One more thing. As one of the few men here, I can now partly empathize with women and wearing a bra. Not very cumfy, but I've gotten used to it B)

Hi!

Glad it is working out for you! Hopefully by seeing what increases your HR you/your drs. can make changes to help decrease the rapid HR increases and your symptoms.

I have been pondering the HR watch thing for a while, I have tried some, haven't found one I like.

I did try an older Polar HR watch, and it didn't work well around electromagnetic fields, do the newer ones still do this? Where they do not work in the car, around a computer, or a television etc? They just beep and go haywire around these machines. That frustrated me with that watch, because that was a large part of my day around such devices. Do they still have this problem????

Thanks!!!! B)

Hi!

Glad it is working out for you! Hopefully by seeing what increases your HR you/your drs. can make changes to help decrease the rapid HR increases and your symptoms.

I have been pondering the HR watch thing for a while, I have tried some, haven't found one I like.

I did try an older Polar HR watch, and it didn't work well around electromagnetic fields, do the newer ones still do this? Where they do not work in the car, around a computer, or a television etc? They just beep and go haywire around these machines. That frustrated me with that watch, because that was a large part of my day around such devices. Do they still have this problem????

Thanks!!!! B)

This one has rarely gone haywire, and I know what you mean. The worst thing I've encountered is keeping the band damp. Kinda gets uncomfortable (the part that has to get the signal on your skin).

I think I have this one: http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/fit...#lightsteelblue

It's only acted up a couple times at work and I had to stop/restart it (beep. beep).

It was amazing watching my HR go from 68-75 to 115 today. :/ I'm 'used' to it but still amazed about my fight with gravity!