Allegra Time Release

gertie

I have taken 12 hour Allegra 60 in the past w/o too many side effect. The dr switched me to 24 hr time release, which I didn't know until I had the pres. filled. I'm a little worried about changing. It took me a long time to find reg Allegra. I have heart arrythmias with it so I can't imagine what kind of problems I will have with time release. Anyone tried it? Any comments appreciated.

I've been on 180 mgs daily allegra for two years for allergies. No side effects. Really helps. I think it was the earlier version, seldane, that caused arrhythmias, but they changed the formulation. There may be some warning about not taking it with grapefruit juice and antifungals, but you'd have to ask a pharmacist. I prefer allegra to zyrtec, which makes me tachy.

In the UK Fexofenadine (US brand name Allegra) only comes in two doses 120mg (for hayfever) and 180mg (for skin reactions). I have taken both strengths in the past (for several years) without any side-effects. In fact the problem that caused my to switch was that it only lasted for 16 hours and didn't keep me itch free all day/night.

In the past there was a very popular antihistamine called Terfenadine. In the UK you could buy it without prescription (brand names US Seldane, UK Triludan). It was found to cause long-QT (an ECG abnormality) and in a few susceptible people could lead to ventricular arrhythmias and death. Because of the safety fears it was withdrawn. Fexofenadine is a metabolite of Terfenadine but it doesn't have the same effect on the QT interval so shouldn't cause arrhythmias.

Flop

I've just googled the Allegra website (rather than my usual UK sources of info) and discovered that there are several versions called "Allegra-D" - have you taken that variety? I'm asking because the D version contains a decongestant (psuedoephedrine). Pseudoephedrine can cause the side-effects that you described -

Side effects with pseudoephedrine may include nervousness, restlessness, dizziness, or insomnia. Headache, drowsiness, increased heart rate, palpitations, increased blood pressure, and abnormal heart rhythms have been reported.

Difficulty urinating is also listed as a problem.

Pseudoepedine is usually a medication that people with autonomic problems should avoid.

If you have been taking Allegra-D then switching to the non-decongestant version should help. As a separate issue it is advised in the UK that no-one should take decongestant medications for longer than 7 days because of rebound congestion when they are stopped.

Flop