Migraines

firewatcher

Hello all,

I used to have true menstrual migraines every month: one-sided, throbbing in time with heartbeat, light sensitive, sound sensitive, nausea, hypersensitive skin (pray for death.) For the last six years, since my periods have been increasingly light, I have not had migraines with them; except last year when I had three normal periods and three horrendous migraines. What I do have is a daily, one-sided (same side as migraine,) light-sensitive headache that varies in intensity (from a dull pain up to almost migraine) with activity or position (I don't bend over anymore) and is completely unresponsive to migraine meds. Last October I had an actual migraine and then this headache all in the same day. Two doctors (not neurologists) have said that this headache is a migraine, but if it is, shouldn't it respond to triptans like my menstrual migraines? So far, the only thing that has helped any is Klonopin, and that is becoming less effective at this dose. What is a POTS/ neuropathy headache like? Can you have different types of migraines? The only time it disappeared entirely was when I was clinically overhydrated from the dDAVP (low serum Osm., low serum sodium, but finally a normal hematocrit.) Anyone with more than one disabling headache type? What works for you?

I just wonder whether the newer headache you are talking about is sinusitis given your description - particularly as you mention leaning forward makes it worse, it is one-sided, variable in intensity but persistent and unresponsive to painkillers.

Sorry, I don't know if it possible to get more than one migraine simultaneously.

My best luck has been to go to a headache clinic, where that's all they do. I finally got a diagnosis of they type of migraines I get. I've been going to Diamond headache clinic in Chicago.

I get migraines without head pain--just neurological symptoms, and migraines with head pain, sometimes with neuro symptoms sometimes without. I can't take triptans, because of the type of migraine I get (basilar). I was told that triptans could trigger a stroke with that type.

When the pain isn't too bad, sometimes ibuprofen is enough. For bad pain, i have toradol.

When it's neuro symptoms, I take klonopin for the migraine-vertigo, and tigan for nausea.

We tried a couple preventives, but they either didn't work, or I couldn't tolerate them. I don't want to jinx anything, but they've been better. Not sure why. Possible reasons? Daily baby aspirin, 800mgs/day magnesium glycinate, florinef? Knowing my triggers? (Bright light/noise/computer screen/too much upright, sleep apnea, hormones).

It's not a sinus headache, when I bend over, the pain is in the back of my head near the base of my skull, not in the facial area. I went to a headache clinic and met one of the biggest sphincter-mimic doctors I've ever met. He said that he "believed that I really did have migraines" but that it sounded like anxiety. Then he ordered an MRI, "just to make sure." He never read the other symptoms, said nothing about a BP of 100/80 and spent less than 5 minutes in the room with me. My husband was there with me and was stunned; later he said we basically paid $400 to see a nurse. So far, the Klonopin has helped, but I worry about once I am tapering off of it.

What are all of your headaches like?

Are they unilateral? Throbbing? Light or sound sensitive?

yep--unilateral, throbbing, light/sound sensitive, nausea. hard to localize the pain, as it pretty much feels like it's the whole side of my head. Also feels like it's pain on that side of my neck.

neuro symptoms range from: strange weak feeling in face, one arm/hand, general one-sided clumsiness/ reduction in fine motor on one side, trouble speaking, vertigo, blurred vision in one eye, feeling of one eye being cold, disorientation.

For me klonopin really only helps the vertigo, which it does nicely.

Oh, absolutely. There are many migraine "variants", and I don't think it's uncommon to have more than one. I personally have two...I have what I describe as the "hyper-stimulated" migraine...one side of head, comes after activity, and is really a very sick all over feeling besides the headpain. Lots of weird neuro symptoms going on at that time, too....light and sound sensitivity, slurring of speech, visual disturbances, etc.

Then I have cluster headaches, which are really a migraine variant. These are very, very different....they come in "clusters", meaning they have a cycle. I usually enter such a cycle every two or three years. For me, that cycle can last anywhere from a month to nearly a year. During that time, the headaches seem to come at the same time, every day or night. They bring the most horrible pain imaginable...much worse than any other pain I've ever had in my life, including several completely natural, unmedicated childbirths. They are nicknamed "suicide headaches" for a good reason. Between the peaks of these headaches, I have a constant dull ache in my head all the time. And they are often accompanied by chestpain/angina.

Then, ofcourse, I have other, more regular headaches, too...headaches from too little or too much fluid, dropping blood sugars, low heart rate, etc.

I have migraines with aura, w/o aura & optical migraines. The pain is usually one sided but I have had them on both sides at the same time & they are unbearable.

I just found a book "Migraine" by Oliver Sachs. It's an old book but I wish I had it 25 yrs ago. It has answered a lot of questions for me my neuro's have not been able to answer concerning migraines. I've been on Neurontin for years which does not completely control my migraines but it takes the edge off where I can function. My neuro says it's an outdated drug but I'm afraid to change since I don't do well with drugs.

Yes, you can have more than one type. For me it depends on the trigger. Mine tend to be similar, but they are not predictable or occur the same way everytime.

Try researching migraines, it took me a while to get the hang of what a migraine is, why it occurs etc. I still don't feel I understand them very well. I think because they are so variable.