Tapering Effexor And Spinning!

Hi-

This is my first time posting. I've always been reading the forum discussions, and now I thought I'd try a post. I hope I'm doing this right.

I was dx with POTS at Mayo in Sept.'06.It's been an up and down ride (of course...and literally!)

The only meds. I've remained on right now are Effexor and Klonopin(at night to sleep).(Off Midodrine and Mestinon now for 8 months). My doc suggested tapering off of the Effexor to see if it would help with my fatigue. I have been slowly downing my dose all month from 150mg a day until now with a dose of 37.5mg every other day. Problem is...wow! I'm light-headed and dizzy much more than usual! Can't drive... it's hard to function. I have three kids... one with autism and I'm really having a hard time. This is almost like when I initially got sick.

My question is...Has anyone ever come off of Effexor with lightheadedness like this? I don't know if my symptoms are from the withdrawl or the POTS.

I'm having no problems with anxiety or depression with this low dose, but the brain fog is killing me! Should I try to hang on to see if the dizziness goes away after withdrawl is complete...whenever that will be... or maybe my body just needs an SSRI to function? Any thought?

Thanks everyone- This forum has been great for me... not only the helpful suggestions, but knowing that I'm not alone. Maybe I'm ready now not only to post, but to answer some posts and try to give back...

I will start by saying your not going crazy. Effexor is the WORST to taper off and go off. I was on it for a while and I was having allergic reactions to something and they had to take me off of one at a time and when I went off the Effexor I didn't get to taper it off I had to just drop it and I was in bed sick for two weeks. So I understand what you are going through and it is perfectly normal. My doc says Effexor is one of the worst ones to go off if you tapper or just go cold turkey. Good Luck and hope you feel better soon!!

I was taking it for ADHD and going off was hard. I didn't have POTS at the time but I got terrible vertigo. It wasn't 'lightheadedness' more like dizziness, balance, inner ear thing. Specifically when I moved my eyes side to side it felt like I got suddenly thrown across the room. So I felt sort of motion sick. It lasted for about a month as I slowly lowered the dose. At the end I actually opened the capsules up and took a little at a time. My doc said I could try a low dose Prozac because they both affect Seritonin but Prozac lasts much longer- didn't try that but might be worth a try when you get to a lower dose. Shelby, OMG cold turkey :D Just taper slowly. It will get better.