Do You Drive??

ljoeb

Good Wednesday to all.... after my hospitalization in June of '07 that started me on this journey, I was told in no uncertain terms that I shouldn't drive unitl, as my doc who released me said, "you get this figured out." I had a tilt-table test in August '07 that discovered my OI and I was told then by the EP Cardiologist that I shouldn't drive, and I asked for how long, and he said probably forever, especially because I live in Texas. He said that Texas looks at this condition as they do epilepsy, and you have to be "event free" for 6 months in order to drive legally. At the time, that time frame was starting over numerous times a day (I was having 3 - 5 presyncompal spells a day at the time). I asked my current EP doc who has been doing a wonderful job with me if he would "release me to drive" back in March or April, and he said I'd have to pass a new Tilt table test on my meds in order for him to release me, and at the time (or even now) I probably wouldn't.

I do drive every so often. There are times I go out to the store or wherever just to get out of the house and I find myself wishing I hadn't gone out because Ill start feeling woozy and weird and really have to focus to get home. Texas is really stringent on their driving restrictions with people who have any kind of disorder like we have. I have been told that I could lose my license and become uninsurable if I were to be pulled over for anything or be in an accident even if it wasn't my fault. So I know I have to be careful. But it is quite limiting and frustrating to those who drive me around because I am a terrible back seat driver. :)

How do other states look at this??

I'm not sure of Alabama's laws about this, but I do know that Sara's doctor told her in no uncertain terms that she was NOT under ANY circumstances to get behind the wheel of an automobile. In fact the last time she drove, it was to the doctors office, her symptoms were so bad in the office, he would not let her drive home. We had to go get her and have someone drive her car home. She was and still is (after about 7 years) very sad over this. Makes her feel even more dependent and "sick". She tries to cope with it the best she can, but its very hard, as I'm sure you well know. Best to you--Susan

Heylo,

I'm not sure of any Colorado Law that would bar it, but I haven't been told by any doctor I cannot drive. I usually cannot drive half the time - I make a judgement call, erroring on the side of caution, and I never drive alone. Usually my mother tags along, and I may drive small portions of the trip.

I don't really have near syncope when sitting and driving, but the one thing that stops me from driving is pain and muscle fatigue. After about 20 minutes it gets hard to sit up, use the pedals, keep a safe grip on the wheel, and concentrate on driving. My muscles just give up.

It really bothers me to take time away from my mother's life just to get somewhere.

Cam

I understand this all too well. Iowa law is 6 months faint or seizure free. I went 5 years without a license and just got it back a couple of years ago and had to go through a lot to get it back with many physicals and visits to the DOT. I noticed that my neurologist has a poster of DOT restrictions state by state and I found this site you can go to and put in your state and they tell you the laws. It is an epilepsy site, but they treat them the same. http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/living/w...drivinglaws.cfm

If the site doesn't work go to www.epilepsyfoundation.org and in the search type in driving statwide laws.

Hope this helps!!

Shelby