Fmla - Is Anyone Using It Right Now?

iheartcats

Well - I'm out of sick days/time off and it's only 2/3 through the year (not a surprise for POTS people, but stressful).

My doctor and I discussed FMLA (which I'm eligible for this fall). It will be intermittent to cover appointments/flare-ups/illness (which of course flares up my condition)/treatment/etc.

I'm working out a schedule ahead of time as much as I can, and will try to limit the non-planned-in-advanced days as much as possible.

My concerns are:

1. Will my work have the option of moving me to another position? (I'd rather not have this happen...) And if so would they have to put me back in my current position once I no longer need FMLA?

2. Will my work require a letter stating my 'conditions of being able to perform my job' (I don't want to dig myself into a hole here). Can the doctor note something like when my condition is under control, I have no limitations except standing for extended periods? Part of my treatment is rehab to make things better...does he have to note that? I always hear to say as little as possible.

3. What do I have to tell coworkers? I think legally it's nothing, but everyone knows how other people 'wonder what's going on and why you are off.'

Thanks for any input/stories you can share, too!

Hello,

I am an HR coordinator, and I currently administer the leaves of absence (FMLA included) as well as being on an intermittent one myself.

1. Yes, if you not being there is causing a problem with getting work done, they do have the option of moving you to an alternate position while you are on leave. It would have to have the same pay and benefits. I have not been moved, they need me where I am I guess.

2. Yes, part of the law is you have to have your healthcare provider fill out a "certification of healthcare provider". This only needs to go to HR, and no one else. Not even your boss. Your doctor can put that you have a chronic condition, I don't believe they need to be super specific. I've seen them where they simply state surgery, etc. and the amount of time that may be needed.

3. I would tell your co workers what you are comfortable with them knowing. Mine know what is wrong with me. They aren't sympathetic to it, and I believe they resent my absences. However, I have been with my group for over 9 years, so it isn't like we don't know each other very well. Plus with my hospitalizations, they knew something was up.

Good luck!

Angela

All this makes me feel so much better. My doctor was wondering how much they'd want to know, but I'll tell him to keep it to the minimum unless they demand more.

Intermittent sounds good because it covers my 'sick' time, but I will try to schedule my appointments in advance as I don't want to seem unorganized/dump stuff on my coworkers. But at least I won't have the worry of being 'let go' because I've used up all my time and it's either get treatment/go to work. I think that in and of itself will help my stress levels. I'll be covered for my appointments and if, and I hope not, I have an extremely bad spell.