Physical Therapy

Hi Lorrell,

you're talking my thing!!! I'm on physical therapy for over three years now. My physical therapist didn't know of POTS at first (like almost everyone overhere) but when I found this site I made copies of all the DINET-information which she read. After that we made a program of exercises which I tried . I made a scheme inwhich I described the exercise, time I needed to do this exercise, time I needed to rest and a mark which said how I felt before that exercise and afterwards. In this scheme I had a wide amount of exercises but after half a year I had three exercises left I was able to do in an hour, using all the muscles that are important to me without feeling too exhausted. It sometimes made me feel very sad when I could do less and had to leave out another exercise but in the end I felt satisfied with what I was doing. Every week I talked my scheme over with my physical therapist and she encouraged me very much. I love her for doing that because it really made me feel better and determined to go on.

For a few weeks now I'm not able to practice any more but my physical therapist came over to my house and learned me a few exercises to do in bed or to do when I'm up for a while. I'm strongly convinced that exercising is one the main things in (even a little) getting better so I hold on to this as much as I can. If I can help you in describing exercises for you or to give you an example of the scheme I made you're very welcome to email me. ;)

Corina

I am in PT right now, but they don't want me to exercise at this point because my blood pressure has been so low. I go for knee pain/swelling and all they are doing now is ultrasound and iontophoresis which is what I get the most benefit from anyways. They are very understanding so they said if I can get my BP up that we might try some exercises, but I am already getting a lot of improvement with the ultrasound and ionto.

Jaime

I have not tried PT. I've had such a terrible exercise intolerance that the only thing I've been able to do for a number of years now is walk. I used to be in such good shape and exercised almost daily! :-(

However, I do know that massage therapy is very, very helpful for chronic fatigue and of course any muscular soreness. A couple of months ago my husband started giving me a good back rub most evenings. I honestly began to feel less fatigued and even more mentally alert after a couple of weeks of this - and he has no training or any idea of what he's doing, he just digs in a little bit and gently squeezes the muscles he can identify. I knew it was good to get massages, but I was amazed at the obvious difference even from a complete novice - not a huge shift, but definitely improved.

I went to Mayo Clinic three week Pain Rehab Clinic for my Fibromyalgia and the NCS. I think that I got a good deal with that because they taught me how to do excersizes to fit my condition. I also had occupational therapy once or twice a day to teach me how to do things around the house to help the pain and to help with the NCS symptoms. The biggest thing that they teach there is moderation. We walked in the morning for 10 min. As fast as you wanted to, or as slow as you wanted too. And if you didn't feel well then you just took a break and tried later. I also did some muscle excersizes, stretches and aerobic exersizes. The aerobic was to bike starting wtih 4 min a day and increasing as you went. I thought it was good because I used a recumbent bike that adjusted at the seat back so I didn't have to sit up straight. It still gets the muscles moving though. I bought my own seat adjusting recumbent when I got home and everything is working out great.

Shelby

You might find some useful information on the American Council on Exercise website. They have a listing of Fit Facts that discuss exercise under a variety of health challenges including: hypertention, fibromyalgia, heart disease, chronic fatigue. The following link will take you to the listing of Fit Facts

http://www.acefitness.org/fitfacts/fitfact...FTOKEN=22962609