Problems With Heat?

seb10

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has any difficulty during hot days. Lately I've felt like I just can't handle being hot or out in the heat for even short peroids of time, and I didn't know if this is something just in my head, if I need to drink more water (though, I don't know HOW I could drink more water! :o), or if other people with POTS have found difficulty with this.

Thanks! Be well!

Sarah

O-M-G!!! YES! I cannot be outside for even *20 seconds* or I will be down for the rest of the day! Breathing in the hot air makes my BP and HR sky rocket and I don?t feel good for hours.

I see older people running and biking, and I think to myself ?HOW CAN THEY DO THIS??. I used to be able to do this but I can?t survive 20 seconds of standing outside.

FYI I might have the hyperadrenergic form of POTS (tests pending) and live in Phoenix, AZ. It feels like 666 degrees Fahrenheit during the summer.

Guest tearose

Yes this heat spell is all too much! It triggeres very high spikes in my heartrate and more dizzyness. I even refused to drive today because I feel too weak.

Okay, so this may sound unusual but besides hydration, electrolytes and a cool compress what helps is:

Staying in a cool environment but not too cool. I find it much harder, seriously harder, to go from a well A/C environment into the heat.

I actually adjust better to the heat, if I must go outside, by slowly "warming up" to the outside and not going right into a hot car from a cold house or store.

It's a really common trigger----I think for a lot of people it's because your veins dilate which can make you more lightheaded during activity (due to blood pooling). I'm sure there are other reasons too though.

Thanks so much for all your responses everyone! This makes me feel a whole lot better about things!!!

Be well!

Sarah

Guest Sandy Sims

Gosh you guys are making me almost feel human again--just to know SOMEONE has these troubles too makes me feel TONS better.

Sorry--to the point.

YES! The heat in Florida is murderous! And I just wilt like a hot house flower in no time flat.

GAWD I hate it! Water does help--with some salt mixed in so I don't get "over-watered."

But it's STILL THERE!

http://www.painreliever.com/polarproducts_EvaNeckBand.html

I do NOT work for these guys--but a friend turned me onto this $4 re-freezable neck scarf cool wrap that seems to help.

Past that I have no clue other than to say, ME TOO!!

Sandy

Heat is definitely a trigger for me. If I get overheated I'm usually down and out for the whole day. Thankfully, I'm handling the heat a bit better this summer...But now I have a new problem: HUMIDITY!!! The heat + humidity is a terrible terrible combination for me.

Heat and humidity makes me so sick! I don't have central air in my house so I spend most of the hot days in my room with the window unit on. I try to drink a whole lot more water and not stand as much. It helps a bit.