Finding A Job When You Are Disabled

If someone could point me to a prior discussion on the topic of job seeking/interviewing when you are diagnosed with POTS, or if we could start a new discussion here, I need some advice.

When my symptoms first started back in February, it quickly became apparent to me that I was no longer going to be able to continue teaching, and I resigned in March.

Now, I need a job.

But I'm not looking forward to the limitations, or the interviews where I have to try to explain my limitations.

Does anyone know of any employment agencies or websites that list jobs from businesses that take on disabled workers?

I've started the process at my local vocational rehabilitation department, but I just wanted to know how any of you have handled the job search.

Thanks,

Amber

I don't have much experience job searching as I'm still in college, but have you ever thought about working from home? I generated some spare cash by doing some freelance writing. Full-time freelancers can make upwards of $50,000/year once they find their niche...Not a bad job, especially since you are able to work from home! There are many other jobs where you can work from home as well. Maybe someone else here has more experience/knowledge in that arena than I an can elaborate more.

Vocational rehab sounds like a good start. They can explain ada to you-- where if you are otherwise qualified, and a "reasonable accommodation" can be made to hire or keep you, they are legally obligated. Of course "reasonable accommodation" is vague. i have been able to keep my fortunately flexible job in this way.

Now if your disability prevents you from doing a key part of the job, that's a different matter. But , for example, if you need to do a lot of computer work, but could do so from a laptop in a recliner, rather than sitting at a desk, that seems to be a reasonable accommodation.

Occupational therapists are also good at brainstorming multiple creative ways of accomplishing a given task.

Guest tearose

When I was trying to find work that would accommodate my physical challenges I worked with VESID. They are a vocational rehabilitation / placement organization. I was very happy with the help they were able to offer as I tried to learn how to market my skills and not to sell myself as "damaged goods".

good luck in the job search,

tearose

Hi!!

I acutally do work and am disabled. The group is right when they say Voc Rehab helps out, but I got my job on my own. I did not disclose my medical information til after the interview and after they hired me, which I dont think was either wrong or right by any means. I work at a hospital part time and they are so flexable with me and my illness. I think it is the best place to work, they understand my condition and the ER is right there when I need it lol.

Hope this helps. If you need help interviewing or anything feel free to ask. I got my first job off my first interview, so I dont know if they were desperate or I was that good lol.

Shelby

I've been looking for a legit work at home telemarketing/or some kind of phone service where I actually get paid by the hour. I've only run into scams. =( If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.