Eye Problems Anyone........?

willows

Hi all,

Still here and snapping at lifes ankles...........well more like nibbling them at the minute! :blink:

I've been at the eye hospital today , seeing a very nice lady doctor ....................hello lady doctor if your reading this :P ( yes, I gave her this site to get better acquainted with POTS ......lucky lady )

So, question for you all , which I'm hoping will help me as well as others :huh:

Who of us with POTS suffers ongoing eye problems ??????

Mine are varied as you know , they are still questioning if I've got glaucoma and hopefully soon someone will figure it out , but in the meantime I keep getting bouts of the most awful eye pain ( like sharp needles shooting into your eye) redness like I've just come out of a Boris Karloff film after a long drink with my mate Dracula :lol: and the feeling like I have half a ton of 'something ' in my eye .

This ' things in the eye' will just suddenly start 'out of the blue' first the feeling of something is in the eye, then scarlet eyes, blurred vision , pain , swelling of the eye and eyelid and the eye streaming ................hours of this drives me quite mad ( even madder than I am now) :wacko:

So.......................as I've lead this nice lady eye doctor to this site ( wave to you :P from Ami ) hows about us giving her a hand and just giving her a bit of a low down on POTS and how its 'plays ' ..............and I say this word with tongue in cheek guys ..............plays with our sight .

I'm on steroid drops at the minute for about 7 days to help with my right eye again so hopefully all will settle down until the next time ( which I utterly dread as its just so nasty not being able to see properly )

Love to all , Mikes much better now and I'm up and walking again ................Willows XXXXXXXXXXX

Hi Willows-

Not sure if you've been diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos or not. I have something called Recurrent Corneal Abrasion Syndrome which is due to the collagen disorder. Basically when I open my eyes in the morning, my cornea is stuck to my eyelid and the act of opening my eye causes it to tear. I get symptoms very similar to what you describe. It hurts like all ****, my eye is red and teary and I can't see properly. I swear the pain of the abrasion is WORSE than my dislocations and it happens about every month or so. Sound familiar?

Glad your son and you are both doing better.

Sara

Hi willows

I am so sorry to know that you have glaucoma. Hopefully on time to prevent it from progression.

On my last visit to the doctor last year, we detected that I had pterygium on both eyes and on both sides of each eye. My vision was affected but he insisted that it had nothing to do with it.

A pterygium is a wedge-shaped fibrovascular growth of conjunctiva (the surface tissue of the white of the eye) that extends onto the cornea. Pterygia are benign lesions that can be found on either side of the cornea.

According to the doctor, nothing to worry about as it was on the conjunctiva, close to the iris, but far enough from the pupil to cause any problem...

I went to my GP the other day because I was astonished to see that the pterygium had extended into the iris and very likely is going towards the pupil... :wacko:

Sometimes I have a feeling as if I am having a foreign body sensation in the eye. Furthermore, they become easily red and my vision is not much better but worse than last year...

I have been told that if a surgery is recommended there is no surgery with laser but at an operating room setting and going through a surgery with anesthetic...

The removal may take place in a procedure room or operating room setting. The pterygium is carefully dissected away. In ORDER to prevent regrowth of the pterygium, your ophthalmologist may remove some of the surface tissue of the same eye (conjunctiva) and suture it INTO the bed of the excised pterygium. Alternatively, an antimetabolite such as mitomycin may be applied to the site. Postoperatively, your ophthalmologist may recommend some steroid eye drops for several weeks to decrease the inflammation and prevent regrowth of the pterygium

As you can see, some of us develop problems in our eyes. And I am for the theory that everything is related.

If you have a glaucoma, please, be sure to use sun glasses specially designed to protect your eyes from the UVA rays. (Very important).

Yes. Immediate treatment for early stage, open-angle glaucoma can delay progression of the disease. That's why early diagnosis is very important.

My husband is in risk of developing glaucoma and I have been surfing the net about it.

Glaucoma can be treated... Though if the optic nerve has been affected, that cannot be reversed, but you can prevent it from developing further.

Glaucoma treatments include medicines, laser trabeculoplasty, conventional surgery, or a combination of any of these. While these treatments may save remaining vision, they do not improve sight already lost from glaucoma.

Take care, Willows,

Tessa