Is Stuttering A Symptom Of Pots?

Is stuttering a symptom of POTS? Just wondering.

jbrian00,

As far as I'm aware, speech symptoms associated with POTS is usually "difficulty finding the right words", which is usually derived from the brainfog attribute. But this is by no means a fact, merely an opinion. And even then, a layman's opinion.

Anybody read about POTS and stuttering? I've never come across anything.

But incedentally...are you left handed? In my bio psyc course we learnt that right brained language centers (some individuals have their center switched around a bit, and tend also to be left handed though not always) are associated with stuttering.

Interesting question. I'm a speech pathologist and being very aware of language issues word finding problems were one of the first things I noticed and concerned me. They are different problems - word finding and stuttering. However, under periods of stress anyone can be known to have stuttering behaviors though not truly be a stutterer. However, my guess is that you are experiencing stuttering due to stress more than anything. If you are repeating whole words more than parts of the word that is a sign it is a stress related stutter and not a true stuttering problem. If you want to PM me, feel free.

By the way - the language centers of the brain are in the L hemisphere.

Amy

Interesting question. I'm a speech pathologist and being very aware of language issues word finding problems were one of the first things I noticed and concerned me. They are different problems - word finding and stuttering. However, under periods of stress anyone can be known to have stuttering behaviors though not truly be a stutterer. However, my guess is that you are experiencing stuttering due to stress more than anything. If you are repeating whole words more than parts of the word that is a sign it is a stress related stutter and not a true stuttering problem. If you want to PM me, feel free.

By the way - the language centers of the brain are in the L hemisphere.

Amy

Wow just the person to answer! The reason I asked is that I've been stuttering since a child. Along the way I've also had wierd symptoms such as some light sensitivity (to sunlight...but that may be from not wearing sunglasses at first) and my pupils have always seemed dilated even in light when other's are not. So maybe I had some slight neuro issues since childhood that may have progressed up to POTS symptoms which only manifested 3 years ago. So just wondering if maybe could be related.

FYI My problem is not being able to get out certain syllables...like st..., scr..., squ..., sp... type words and sometimes repitition of the first syllable of the word several times before getting the rest of it out. I haven't been through speech therapy and have kinda learned to get around it by substituting other words and stuff. But it is definitely worse under periods of stress...such as the stress I've been under since developing my hr and POTS-like symptoms.

Thanks for the info.

Hi,

I have never heard of a link. Due to the neurons and areas of the brain that control the fine tuning of speech, and what is affected with POTS/dysautonomia I would say that it is not very likely at all. I could see though having overall difficulty forming words/motor issues with extreme stress. Because if unable to think straight or coordinate movements of other muscles it makes some sense that the lingustic muscles could also loose coordination. But, I think that is a stretch, and don't really think they are related.

Talk with your dr. and if you still experience it possibly set up an appmt. with an SLP to see if they can pinpoint what is going on.

Good luck!

Speech pathologist...that's cool! We have so many professional fields mixed into this forum....it's really great.

My 5 yr old daughter also stutters. She's bilingual, and she stutters in both Arabic and English. She might just be picking it up from me. But I noticed that it waxes and wanes with her emotions...specifically if she's nervous, like in front of guests, she'll stutter a lot more. It's sometimes so severe, she will repeat the first few words of a sentence for several minutes...and she gets so frustrated when we try to guess her ending. We all get fed up waiting for the stutter to pass.

Do you have any tips? Like how can we prompt her to stop the stuttering? The only thing I found so far to help is not commenting on it, since that seems to make her more nervous. Sometimes I also try to sooth her more, like rubbing her back and holding her on my lap when she's trying to talk to guests and stuttering a lot. Now that she's a bit older, I tell her to think about the whole sentence that she wants to say before she starts it. That seems to just make her feel that I don't want her to say anything though. Ideas?

Speech pathologist...that's cool! We have so many professional fields mixed into this forum....it's really great.

My 5 yr old daughter also stutters. She's bilingual, and she stutters in both Arabic and English. She might just be picking it up from me. But I noticed that it waxes and wanes with her emotions...specifically if she's nervous, like in front of guests, she'll stutter a lot more. It's sometimes so severe, she will repeat the first few words of a sentence for several minutes...and she gets so frustrated when we try to guess her ending. We all get fed up waiting for the stutter to pass.

Do you have any tips? Like how can we prompt her to stop the stuttering? The only thing I found so far to help is not commenting on it, since that seems to make her more nervous. Sometimes I also try to sooth her more, like rubbing her back and holding her on my lap when she's trying to talk to guests and stuttering a lot. Now that she's a bit older, I tell her to think about the whole sentence that she wants to say before she starts it. That seems to just make her feel that I don't want her to say anything though. Ideas?

Stuttering is as much a speech problem as a psychological problem. Stress really makes a difference in the symptoms. Regarding the original post - I know I really want to relate everything to POTS at times, so much fits, but I still think they are unrelated, or at least to this point not well studied and documented. However, if one is already a stutterer, being nervous about symptoms of POTS could aggrevate (I can't spell that right now) it. I know when I am having a really clumsy day and am around people I don't know as well I get more annoyed and frustrated by my symptoms and not only does that get worse, but so does everything else. I would say kids (6-7) and older and adults who stutter parts of words (st, n, m, a, tr etc...) and not the whole word are more likely to have issues with true stuttering.

Kids are a different story. Love them! Kids 2-5 have been known to have bouts of stuttering during periods of large language growth. The age range could be wider depending on overall language development. Their mouth can't keep up with their brain sending them the info. These kids tend to stutter more whole words than the initial part of the word and show very little to NO frustration that they are doing it. It is more likely bothering the conversation partner. The best thing is to ignore it. If it doesn't bother your child to finish her/his sentence do it, just don't appear frustrated with what is happening - you were right on! Try to go with the flow. And even if your child - or you - is a stutterer you can rest assured it doesn't affect intelligence or ability to succeed. Check out www.stutteringhelp.org.

There are lots of techniques for dealing with stuttering - different things work for different people. Making sure you take a breath and begin to speak after airflow has started and try to keep airflow going. Using devices to help control the speed work. Using different words can work too - with POTS I know I couldn't keep up with that one, I can barely find one word I need! Ha ha. If you are being bothered by your stutter (or your child is) it can really help to see an SLP. Kids 3 and older are eligible for free services through the school system if they qualify. The parent has the right to request an evaluation. There are also many private (not in schools) and hospital and clinic SLPs.

jbrian00 - it sounds like you handle it very successfully! But if you are bothered try to find an SLP to give you some techniques to try. It may be you didn't need them before, but with dealing with more in your life - POTS - you might need a little more help.

Again - feel free to PM me about anything!

Amy

• 14 years later...

Hey! My name is Emily. I also have POTS and issues stuttering with the common syllables, but I have it even when I am stress free. It still comes and goes, sometimes even for several months, but the only common thing I can think of is that more my brain fogs over, the more issues I have with it. I’ve gotten to the point of actually stopping all speech for the day because no matter how much I stop and breathe, I still can’t get a word out. Is there any normal connection between loss of certain brain function and stuttering for cases such as this? Not necessarily related to having POTS?

Hi Emily,

i share your symptoms. Never stuttered in my life before and I had a job public speaking! Now sometimes I trip all over my words. It’s rough, feels embarrassing. It is worse when my brain fog is bad or especially when I’m stressed.

Thanks,

Doug

• 10 months later...
On 3/16/2023 at 2:25 AM, POTsie4decades said:

Hey! My name is Emily. I also have POTS and issues stuttering with the common syllables, but I have it even when I am stress free. It still comes and goes, sometimes even for several months, but the only common thing I can think of is that more my brain fogs over, the more issues I have with it. I’ve gotten to the point of actually stopping all speech for the day because no matter how much I stop and breathe, I still can’t get a word out. Is there any normal connection between loss of certain brain function and stuttering for cases such as this? Not necessarily related to having POTS?

I have something similar, it is like a slight delay when words coming out, but usually when I first start to speak, once i get going i am okay. EDS and POTS