Testing Questions...docs Aren't Helping

RHODEO

Hey everyone,

I am curious if you've had an eeg, evoked potentials test, and a spine MRI to rule out other conditions?

If so, can you tell me the conditions they were trying to rule out?

I ask because I have been asking my neuro. if he will order these tests for me and he "doesn't think that's necessary". From all of the research I've done it seems like these are required to rule out other things.

I can't understand why he is so reluctant to order these tests! I have struggled throughout this whole process of figuring out what is wrong with me to get docs to order tests!!! It doesn't seem right that I should have to BEG them for tests!

Thanks,

Jen

Hi,

For a dr. to do these tests, especially if billing insurance, there has to be a significant reason to do them. So, for an EEG they would need to suspect seizures etc. and want to rule that out. If you have had no symptoms of seizures you likely do not need an EEG. Why do you think this is an appropriate test for yourself? These tests are not always necessary in everyone's case. Some people with dysautonomia have totally different symptoms and things going on than others, so what is appropriate for them is not necessarily appropriate for you. I had EEG's, BUT I also have a history of epilepsy.

For evoked potentials- I don't think they do this very quickly ever... It is used to rule out MS etc. Not sure never had it mentioned to me...

For the spine MRI, this is a VERY expensive test and they would have to have good reason for perfoming it and that if they did find something that it would change your treatment. I guess for this they would look for spinal tumors, pinched nerves, spine deformations, disc/nerve issues, syringomyelia, etc. So, without the right symptoms this test would not be warrated, and because some of what can be seen can not be treated, or treated very easily, it is not the first road that they explore. Sometimes it is treating the symptoms more that the cause.

I hope that helps!

Never heard of the potentials thing you mentioned. But I had an EEG. My neuro (who thought I had a conversion disorder) ordered the EEG to rule out epilepsy. That was at the beginning (first year) of having POTS, before I knew about the disease (I was diagnosed 4 years later). EEG results were normal, which further convinced the neuro that I was "traumatized by an early miscarriage and in need of psychotherapy". He said my fainting was hyperventilating. Anyways...

Doctors can be sooooo annoying. Hope you find a good one soon.

I've had an MRI of the spine. I got it when I was at Mayo being diagnosed with POTS. I don't know exactly what the doctor wanted to rule out, but I know that she ordered it because I have very brisk reflexes.

Jen,

The only tests the Neuro had me do, beyond what is required for POTS, was mostly for pre-existing condition things. Such as Holter Monitor, Nuclear Treadmill, Carotid/Heart Ultrasound. Also had me get a MRI (w/o contrast) of the head, mostly for "peace of mind", but also to check for Chiari Malformation and because of my Paresthesia in the hands/feet. But, honestly, it was more for "peace of mind" for us both. Came out perfectly normal - plenty of grey matter between the ears, rather than air, as many suggested.

But, if I understand it, any non-invasive or benign proceedure can be done if you ask for it. However, if the doctor can't justify it to the insurance, you'll likely have to pay for it. It's not the doctor's fault - the insurance companies are rather strict about justification.

If you have concerns with your Neurologist, maybe schedule an appointment with them to just talk and discuss where things are and where they are going. I did this very thing - it was an "office consult". I bought materials and ideas to discuss, and we just sat and casually discussed where things are, and we discussed where her ideas were going. I was frustrated she wasn't ordering more tests, but I came to her with questions such as, "What about Chiari Malformation? Does it fit with what you've seen?" We spent an hour just casually discussing (thinking out loud, too) and narrowing down the next project to persue.

Best wishes,

Cam