Lambert-eaton Myasthenic Syndrome

Today my daughter had an EMG and the neurologist says it looks like she has Lambert-Eaton Syndrome. She's waiting for some blood tests to come back but it sounds like she's pretty sure. I am wondering if anyone here knows anything about it and if it has any connection to POTS? We just found out so now I need to begin my research. I would appreciate your input.

Thanks

Bren

She really doesn't know, sometimes she thinks so but other times not. At first we thought that sitting trigger it, but then that theory was blown out of the water after it happened after she had been laying flat for awhile.

Hi There,

I googled both and this came up in an E-Medicine article entitled "Autonomic Neuropathies." There was a blurb on POTS and then this on LEMS:

"Lambert-Eaton myasthenic syndrome

Lambert-Eaton myasthenic syndrome (LEMS) is an acquired neuromuscular transmission disorder with antibodies present against presynaptic voltage-gated P/Q-type Ca2+ channels. LEMS is frequently associated with clinical and electrophysiologic evidence of dysautonomia, which can be severe in 20% of patients with LEMS (O'Suilleabhain, 1998). In 50% of cases, LEMS is associated with a neoplasm, most commonly small cell carcinoma of the lung."

Both seem to be forms of autonomic neuropathies. Dsyatonomia (symptoms and TTT evidence) is present with many who have LEMS. Definately some correlation, and some differences.

Your duaghter is in my prayers. Please keep us updated on her progress.

Julie