Something Isn't Right

Hello,

Well, the stomach issues have abated. I've been on about a quarter dose of Mestinon since Friday last week. At first, I just had stomach trouble. Now, it is gone, but other things have come to take it's place. My chest feels very heavy at times. I am having these weird heartbeat things where it feels like my heart is beating regular, but at the same time have a drumming sensation for about 5 secs. Then it goes away. I am also finding that I feel anxious. When I breathe in, it feels like I am gurgling or something.

Could the mestinon cause all this? Will it go away?

I tried calling the doctor, but the office did not return my call. I'll try again tomorrow.

Angela

HI Angela,

I certainly don't want to say that the Mestinon is definitely the culprit, but I had weird breathing issues when I first started taking it. I started with 15mg of the generic pill and built my way up to 30mg - but felt really weird the month that I was taking the pill. I spoke to my doctor and he switched me to the brand-name liquid version and I have done much much better on that. Did not feel strange at all. So I'm not sure if it was a brand-name vs generic issue or a pill vs liquid, but just something to think about if you are on the generic.

I don't know if those symptoms could be caused by side effects of Mestinon or not. Good idea to follow up with your doctor.

Is it Dr. Grubb's office that you called? I've heard that messages left at Dr. Grubb's office don't always get sent to the right person, and then the patients don't get a response. I would suggest emailing his nurse, Bev. Any time I have emailed her she has always responded within 24 hours.

Rachel

I never really made the connection...but I started having panic attacks when I first started taking Mestinon. I had never had them before, and my doctor didn't think they were actual panic attacks, just that my body was doing something weird and it was freaking me out. They've since gone away. But I still consider Mestinon my miracle drug, and would continue to take it even if I was still having panic attacks and horrible stomach pain :-p