Update...reveal Loop Recorder

ok so i had the tilt table test done a few weeks ago. This was my third one. And to my surprise ..,more like shock...i didn't pass out. During my past ttt i usually pass out within 10 mins. Well to make a long story short...they concluded that the medicines i'm on are working more then what they had thought. So that is the good news. It's nice to know that i'm not taking all these meds for nothing.

And the dr that was overseeing my ttt (not my usual cardiologist) scheduled me to get a "Reveal" loop recorder. He agrees with Dr Grubb and thinks that this is the best thing to do. So he talked it over with my cardiologist....so all my dr's are on the same page right now.....that in itself is a miracle. So next tuesday (june 10th) i'll be going in to have this loop recorder put in.

Has anyone else here had this done?? I know that it's a fairly simple procedure but i'm still a bit nervous about it.

I had one for about 18 mos (that is about the battery life). It was done under local anesthesia both times (to put in and take out). I just had an IV for fluids and preventitive antibiotics. Actually, when I had it put in, I was pregnant - and had just finished nursing when I had it taken out. It is very small (I am 95#s and flat-chested!!) So, not a big deal really - and I am an anxious person. I love my cario who did the procedures tho. Mine did not show anything dangerous - it is set to automatically pick up certain things, like if your HR is too fast or slow - and they can change the settings. You can also tell it to record if you have a weird episode - by using a handheld little remote thing. Mine was set only to record one of these per month - and I think 13 auto episodes. I assume they might be able to change those #s tho. I went in about once a month so they could get the info from the Reveal - super-easy - sat in a chair and they put a thing that looks like a computer mouse on your chest and it reads everything. The only thing mine ever showed was PVCs and lots of tachy - didnt know I had POTS til about when I got it removed. Hope the info helps!

I felt fine - I just stayed in the outpatient recovery room (the one with many people and just curtains separating rooms!!) for 1-2 hrs I think - but was just sitting there having some drink and crackers (since you can't eat before) - and they tooko my IV out - and Dr came to talk to me, etc. I was just nervous during procedure - because I tend to get scared and anxious - but that's just me. Because it was just local anesthesia, there really is not much 'recovery'.

I have a reveal device too (I actually had mine replaced with a new one last autumn). When I had the first one put in it was rather uncomfortable with pushing and poking whilst the doctor made the space for it to fit in but not painful. I bruised quite a lot (we didn't know that I had Ehlers-Danlos then and that I bleed very easily). I found that I was very tired for a few days after the procedure but I was back at work 4 days later. Having it taken out / changed was much easier and quicker and I didn't have the tiredness.

The hardest thing for me is trying to remember to carry the activator with me everywhere. Or even worse I have had blackouts when I had the activator to hand but due to brain-fog I forgot to use it!!!! Mine is set to only record when I tell it to, I get so tachy anyway that the "auto" bit is full within a day or so otherwise.

I know that it is difficult, but don't worry - it is a very simple procedure, much easier than a pacemaker because there are no wires to the heart, literally just a tiny box that goes under the skin.

If you visit: www.fainting.com you go to the medtronic site which has a lot of information about the Reveal device and ways of investigating fainting.

Good luck,

Flop

well yesterday was the big day...i had the "reveal" put in . The surgery went pretty well..they gave me ALOT of happy juice....so most of my experience was a blur. But afterwards i was in alot of pain, and still am in pain. So I'm oxycodone for it and it's been helping. So i'm just taking slow for the next few days. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.