Can Anyone Relate To This?

kwalk

I'm at the beginning stage of pots, and I was just wondering if you feel like this especially in the beginning of treatment: you have no idea whats going on, stare into space all day long, and can barely keep your eyes open. When I am out in public it's like I'm in a cloud and get lost really easily. I swear every person I past by looks at me like I'm retarded and my mouth is usually wide open.

I do sometimes feel like a complete air head! I do find myself staring at people when I am out and not actually registering that I am doing it. I am really hoping that once I get my medications worked I might stop doing this. Also before I go to the shops I always make sure I am really hydrated and have more water with me.

Hi Kwalk,

I know exactly how you feel - when I was first ill this was the most difficult symptoms to try to explain to my doctors (never managed to get them to understand). Now that I know more about POTS and how my body reacts I have figured out that the "brain-fog" I get is caused by not enough blood getting to my brain - not so little that I actually faint but not enough to let me concentrate. I find that if I lie down the fogginess goes away. When I'm having good days I don't get the brain-fog at all, but it coming back is a sign that my POTS is out of balance.

Flop

I had terrible "brain fog" at the beginning stages of POTS that sounds exactly like what you're describing. I still get really confused if I am trying to concentrate on something for too long or if I am standing for more than a minute or 2. I found a huge improvement when I went on meds prescribed by my cardiologist. I think the midodrine and florinef made the biggest difference for me, but I know some people have had bad experience with them. Are you on any medications now?

Lauren

Hello,

I just wanted to chime in and let you know that you are not alone. I experienced the feeling of being disconnected from my surroundings intensely at the beginning. The first year was definitely the worst for that symptom for me. Over time that foggy feeling has improved...some days are worse than others but none of it compares to how it felt in the beginning.

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone and I understand how frustrating this is!

Take care

Lisa

Thank you all for the support.

I am taking salt tablets and clonidine right now. I've been taking salt tablets for 3 weeks and have noticed some improvement. I then started clonidine a week ago and it seems to be balancing out my blood pressure somewhat. I'm finding it easier to fall asleep and am actually remembering my dreams, so I guess it's working somewhere in there!