Gi Issues

I have had severe stomach pains a couple of times a month for the past year or so. I was told it was a symptom of POTS and may also be IBS. So I never got it checked out.

Within the past 5 days I have had multiple instances of this but in addition to the severe pain it also caused vomiting and finally got to the point where I was passing nothing but blood. Lovely huh? Anyway, that kind of freaked me out. The blood is bright red so that makes me believe that whatever it is, it is an active bleed. My urine has also been very dark with a reddish tint. I also have lots of little red dots under the skin on my chest. They don't itch. I am assuming they were caused by the force of the vomiting.

I spent last night in the ER. Xrays looked fine. WBC was a little high but nothing major, RBC was fine but platelets are low. I was also severely dehydrated and was given a lot of IV fluids. I am going to my regular doctor this afternoon to get scheduled for an ultrasound and a colonoscopy and to get repeat bloodwork done. I am concerned about the low platelets. I have no idea what is causing that. Any idea of what could be causing the drop in platelets?

You should probably see a GI doctor.

The red dots are called petechiae, which are small broken blood vessels under the skin which happen sometimes when one bears down forcefully (it's seen often when women give birth), but also from the straining with vomiting. I get them around my eyes after vomiting.

Hi, sorry to hear you've been having such a rough time - all that blood must have been frightening! Are you actually having a colonoscopy (lower end) or a gastroscopy (upper end, sometimes called OGD)? I'm just wondering as vomiting blood after violent vomiting/retching can be due to a tear at the lower end of the oesophagus (gullet) called a Mallory-Weiss tear you would need an upper GI scope to diagnose a problem like that. (Some people need both ends scoping so you may end up with 2 tests in 1!).

Best wishes,

Flop