Pots And Contact Lenses

I feel like I am constantly learning new things about my body!

I went to the eye doctor this week. I have not been able to wear my contacts in quite a while, so while the doc was checking my prescription I asked him about my troubles with wearing contacts. He saw the POTS diagnosis in my chart - and knew what it was!- and told me that our tear glands are controlled by the autonomic nervous system, and that was most likely the culprit. So he found some new contacts and gave me some drops to use. He said if my autonomic issues get straightened out, my eye issues will likely resolve.

It is funny the eye doctor has heard of POTS, but the neurologist had not...

Angela

yup, I totally get that. I posted last year that my eye doctor knew all about EDS too--and found me to have a classic finding with EDS patients--thinner than normal corneas which made him say that I'm not candidate for lasik laser surgery. There is another type of laser surgery I can have but the procedure's post op pain is supposedly brutal and takes at least 2 weeks to recover from.

This is so interesting! I wore contacts and over the past 5 years I would increase complaints to my eye doc about none being comfortable. they dry out so quickly and none of the brands were great. Each year we'd find one that worked - well, it worked enough. But I couldn't really tolerate them past 6 pm. Each year I considered Lasik more seriously. My eye doc didn't know about POTS, but was more interested than some doctors I have seen. She even asks how it is all going. Anyway.... I was an excellent candidate for Lasik and had the procedure mid-January. My corneas were thick enough and my tear production was normal. I am so glad I did it. My eyes feel great, dry when I wake up in the morning. I am healing slower than most, but healing. My eye doc can still see the flap and she normally can't by now. I am supposed to put drops in every few hours. Most days I am okay with it, but it is hard to remember as my eyes feel great.

I never knew the ANS controlled tears. So much still to learn.

Amy

Angelika

that is so cool your eye doc knew about ANS problems! Is he by any chance in our area? The doc I see is very thorough, and knows my eyes have issues and follows me closely.

My doc's last name starts with a P and is four syllables. Takes a lot of time with each patient though and I would have to really think about changing after 12 years! I have to get visual field tests each year due to many other issues besides autonomic.

But I am glad ONE of your doctors gets it. :D