Holy Moly!

bellaluna

Ok, so I know some POTSies become more symptomatic when under stress or when they're upset, etc., and I can say that is generally true for myself as well. But today at work, after receiving a not-so-nice email from a nasty co-worker I became upset, and nearly blacked out on the spot. I KNOW this is not NORMAL, but is this a POTS-y thing? If so, can anyone tell me what causes it? Afterward, my head hurt terribly, and I felt weak and tired and just sick to my stomach like I was going to be ill... I still feel really poorly. Blah. Stupid nasty co-worker. :ph34r:

Gonna go lay down. Any insight will be greatly appreciated!

Mary

This is written by doctorguest in response to a very similar question. I just happened to run across it and then read your post. Hope this helps!

"As to why emotions can result in syncope or tachycardic spell in patients with POTS or NCS, the general explanation that I can offer is that emotions, an internal stimuli, affect the autonomic nervous system in the same way as heat or gravity, external stimuli, do. Healthy people react to strong emotions by increasing heart rate and blood pressure, but in patients with POTS, there may be an exaggerated heart rate response, while in patients with NCS, the baroreceptors sense the increase in blood pressure and paradoxically over-react by causing a precipitous drop in blood pressure with a resultant syncope. Of course, the mechanism is more complicated than this, involving communication between the brain, the brainstem, the peripheral autonomic nervous system, various neurotransmitters, including norepinephrine and epinephrine, as well as the baroreceptors of the cardiovascular system and the peripheral blood vessels. If any of these components are abnormal, either in function or structure, the entire system will malfunction, and the response to common internal or external stimuli will no longer be normal, causing symptoms and signs of a disorder. "

I'm sorry that happened to you. How awful to have to work with such an unpleasant person. I'm not sure of your DX, but this sure sounds like NCS to me. MomtoGiuliana via DoctorGuest describes it beautifully. My son, with NCS, faints every time he has to have blood drawn. It stresses him :-)

Julie

Oh that really is awful. I've worked for years trying not to let what others say/do effect me as much. I used to take things a lot more personally...and this was before POTS.

I am sure this coworker was just taking their bad day/month/whatever out on someone and it no way reflects on you. Just try to think when others act rude or aggressive it's something wrong with THEM and it is not YOU.

Now, obviously, a change what happen overnight. But overtime this has really helped me and knowing it could affect the ANS system - it's even more crucial for us.

Thank you Cat Lady. Normally, I don't really let things bother me too much, I'm a little more laid back, at least I try to be... so this really came out of left field. Scared the heck out of me! Knowing that it could potentially affect me this way, I will really have to work on keeping myself in check from now on...

Mary