A Cold, And I'm Back To Square One

I was doing better, going to the Y and trying to work out some. I was excited that I could do what little I was doing. Then I got a cold. I missed three days of work, and I am in bed now when I absolutely don't have to be out of it. My tachycardia is back, and I'm having the drop spells again. I guess it didn't help that I got my period about the same time...

Why can't we get sick like normal people? Now I feel like everything I had accomplished in the past several months is gone, gone, gone. Back to the beginning and work my way up. Sigh. Why can't I start where I left off?

I see Dr. Grubb in about a month. I am excited, and a little nervous about that visit. Before, I was afraid he would say I didn't have POTS anymore because I was doing better. No chance of that now. But I am a little nervous about possible medication changes. I am very sensitive to drugs, and I detest changing them because I am afraid I'll end up in the hospital.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Angela

Hi, Angela:

Hang in there! It is so frustrating to not only have a chronic illness but to have it flare after the smallest things.

I've found that my relapses do not take nearly as long to subside as it took for me to reach the level of functionality that I am at now. Sometimes a bump in meds can help, too. For example, I had a really bad relapse in July, last year, and my doctor increased my Florinef from .2 to .3 mg. After a month, I dropped back down. It seemed to help me recover much faster.

I see you are on Florinef, so it might be worth discussing with your doctor.

Take care of yourself, get lots of rest, and listen to your body. You'll bounce back!

Hi Angela,

the others a right, whilst it is so frustrating to feel like your hard work has gone down the pan it will still have helped you. When your body gets over the cold/period combo that has hit you, you will get back to where you were much faster than the first time. I'm finding that gentle exercise is helping me a lot, but I have to listen to my body and back right off if I don't feel well.

Take care,

Flop

Hi Angela.

Sorry that you caught a cold, but looking forward to you seeing Dr. Grubb.

I do not know him but I have read a lot about him on this forum and others seem very happy to count on him as their doctor.

I am sure that he has a long experience on POTS.

Remember to take note of everything you want to ask him and copies of whatever you think could be interesting and important. Tell him about your worries too.

And keep up the faith.

Good luck and my best wishes.

Take care,

Love

Tessa

Hi Angela,

I hope that as you give your body time to rest and recover from everything things will improve. Just remember to try and take it slow. Hopefully Dr. Grubb will be able to help you some more, and see that you make progress when not sick. That is awful that such "small" things can set us back so much, and oh so frustrating! One day at a time, and hopefully you will soon start to regain your strength and endurance. :P

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time.. I know EXACTLY how you feel. We went to the Mayo in October of last year (drove ALL the way from Ks to AZ with a 4 month old!) ON top of the long trip, I got sick from my friends' kids.. Needless to say, Christmas was HORRIBLE.. but I look back and i'm a little better than Christmas time and I thank God.. Just rest and don't over do it (I know that's hard to do)... Hope you feel better soon!!!! :P