Cpap Mask?

mkoven

so I just picked out my cpap mask. Curious to hear about the masks that those of you with cpap like. I got the mirage quattro face mask. the nasal pillows felt like they were going to blow out my sinuses. Not sure how I'll like it tonight-- though it's the same one I used in the titration study. I'm also a little concerned with the plastic smell-- given my sensitivities to odors. How long till you got used to it? I have a pressure of 7 and a cflex of 3 for when I exhale.

Good luck with you CPAP machine and mask. I too am a 7. I tried the Respironics mask; it left me bruised, sore, and wishing there was another solution. After following up with my doctor and allowing the requisite amount of time before I could try a different style, I switched to the nasal cushions. Wow! What a difference! No pain. In fact, I thought I had it on wrong so I had it rechecked. I was really delighted to find it is working well.

I suggest you wash your mask and humifier tray with warm water and mild soap. That helps get rid of the smell.

Let us know how you do.

Lois

Actually, I originally has a ComfortGel Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear. That one doesn't cover the mouth. One of the added benefits of the nasal cushions is the fact that I can read or watch TV with the cushions, somewhat I could not do with the CPAP mask.

I originally started at a 6; now I am at a 7. I no longer feel the gush of air in my nose. That was kind of neat.

I use something that looks like this: http://www.fphcare.com/osa/FlexiFit405.asp. I was using a cpap at a pressure of 7 w/ a flex of 3 but my dr just switched me to a bipap (5-7) and I love it! My breathing feels much more natural. I couldn't use the nasal pillows because everytime I turned over (and I'm a busy sleeper) they would shift out of my nose and I would have to fix them.

I don't know why, but the nose-only masks felt much more suffocating. Even though I breathe through my nose. I guess with the full face, it's less direct of a push? We'll see... the tech told me to ease into it--that it's okay if I don't make it through the whole night at first. She said to expect a two-week to two month adjustment. I hope to prove her wrong and get used to it faster!

Well, the first night was not a raving success. I kept it on for just under two hours, awake for a good part. At first i felt discomfort in my chest, as the air was being blown in. I turned up the humidity, which helped the chest discomfort, but then I got unbearably hot and sweaty. I gave up at 1130, when I decided I needed to sleep. I guess I'll be trying every night.

Here's some info I found -

CPAP, continuous positive airway pressure, delivers a single continuous level of pressure. CPAP is usually effective in treating obstructive sleep apnea. BiPAP delivers a higher pressure while breathing in, and a lower pressure while breathing out. BiPAP can be used to treat obstructive sleep apnea and is sometimes effective in treating central sleep apnea. I t can also be used to assist ventilation in various pulmonary and neurological disorders.

When it comes to CPAP versus BIPAP machines, CPAP machines are usually less expensive, but BIPAP machines can help prevent the chest spasms and feelings of claustrophobia that can occur while wearing CPAP masks. It is difficult to exhale when pressurized air is being blown straight at you, meaning that many people can better tolerate BIPAP machines. Although some insurance companies won?t pay for BIPAP right away, they will often approve them for apnea sufferers who have difficulty with a regular CPAP machine.

Also, I am still getting used to mine...I'm up to about 7 hours, but at first I could only wear it for an hour or 2. It'll just take time.

Ernie, did you have to try several full face masks before you settled on that one?

Ddsmom:

I tried 3 different mask for at least a year each. The Quattro is the most comfortable. I just got it 2 months ago and it's like I don't have anything on my face.

I got use to any mask the first night I used one because it helped me so much. The first morning a had a sore throat because of the cold air so I heated the water tank earlier and from then on I had no problem.

When I go to the store they let me try the mask for a few minutes and I know readily if I like them or not.

Jake is at a 9, and has the nasal, however, he takes it off every single night in his sleep, he never remembers doing it. I'm trying to get his rear in to get a mask, hoping it won't be as easy to slip off in his sleep. I'll have him ask for the quattro, he hates stuff on his face.

(He wakes up to find it shut off, and neatly put away!)

People with neuromuscular disorders usually do better with BiPap, because of muscle strength issues, not having the force to push the air out. morgan

I use an Optilife CPAP mask. Its a nasal cushion type mask. It doesn't interfere at all with reading or watching tv. I can also lay directily on it when I am on my side and it stays in place. I've seen my buddy sleep in his full face mask and it looks like a spider is all over his face... yikes!!

It took me just a few days to get used to it. My pressure is 14. My machine has a way for the pressure to "ramp up" over 20 minutes or so, but it only took a couple of weeks before I could just start it out at full rate. It is definitely a "dream machine!"

sorry to be a bit tardy chiming in, but i'm pasting below a post i wrote a few months ago when lois/ goldicedance asked about masks. i'm currently a BiPAP user at 14/8. i started as a CPAPer at 7 (seems to be a popular number!). i tolerated the CPAP fine but my O2 stats are better on the BiPAP, likely related to my having some central apneas &/or the issue of breathing/ lung strength, i.e. my breathing is more supported with the BiPAP.

here's my earlier post:

it's so great that you've seen some improvements already...congrats! sorry that you're having a touch time getting adjusted though...hopefully a better mask fit will help that for you. some have trouble even with a great mask fit but i know for me once my mask was good to go i didn't have any trouble at all so hopefully that will be the case for you. that may mean a new mask or perhaps just some adjustments to the one you already have. which one are you using? since you mentioned bruising i'm wondering if you might even have your mask adjusted too tight? it seems counterintuitive, but the seals on most of the masks actually work better a bit looser. just a thought...

after a decent amount of trial & error my favorite mask/ headgear is Respironics' ComfortLite 2. it has three cushion options of which i use the "simple cushion". i tried other nasal pillow masks and more standard nasal cushion masks before this one without great luck. i had a lot of trouble with skin irritation/ chafing/ rashes as well as even the small sizes of some mask styles being a bit too big for my build. thankfully i was connected with a great sleep center when initially tested/ diagnosed that had access to some mask samples so i was able to try several masks without the constraints of insurance.

here's the info on my mask (though the first picture isn't with the cushion i use):

ComfortLite 2

http://comfortlite2.respironics.com/

"fitting guide" for the above mask showing the various mask options:

http://global.respironics.com/UserGuides/F...ePatientCL2.pdf

i prefer the "simple cushion" as the others tend to irritate my nostrils after more than a night or two.

the only time i had to use a different mask was when i had an NJ tube in once at the hospital. we couldn't get it configured right so i had to make do with something they had. it would also be tough (as would any nasal mask) during a cold wherein one was badly congested on both sides but the one cold i've had since being on CPAP/ BiPAP seemed to alternate nostrils so i managed okay . but that's here nor there...

i always use my own mask at the hospital (my old mask is packed in my ready-to-go hospital bag) & - as funny as it may sound - often get "compliments" from the respiratory therapists as most haven't seen a mask like mine. it was used for me in ICU when i was on BiPAP 24/7 as well so i'm SO glad i had something that fit well. it honestly may have been a contributing factor in my being able to stay off a vent. but that's another tangent...

the other nasal pillow system/ mask i tried was Resmed's Mirage Swift. there's a new version out now (Mirage Swift II) but it looks very similar: http://www.resmed.com/en-us/products/masks...l?menu=products

i loved the feel of it at first, the fact that i could slip my glasses on & off without having to take off the mask (i can't see the clock next to my bed so it's nice to be able to throw my glasses on during the night if needed without taking the mask off), it's not bulky, etc. i had some trouble with it leaking but the reason i had to scrap it was that after a few days i had a lot of trouble with irritation & a rash around my nares that kept getting worse. i was told it's a pretty popular mask though.

i don't recall which specific nasal mask i used & i have only used a full face mask during the NJ tube situation.

i think i have an extra set of headgear & some mask cushions for it that aren't my size/ style so since you're in the insurance bind maybe i could even send some your way. shoot me a note if you think that might be helpful. i'm not sure what size you'd need but i'll see what i have & could let you know in the next few days. you'd might want to wash the headgear (the fabric part) but it's in good shape & the masks haven't been touched.

p.s. i spent a bit of time at an apnea forum when i was first diagnosed & gleaned some helpful info re: masks (though largely via searches rather than participating myself). i'm sure there are others but http://www.apneasupport.org is one option.

hope this helps,

:P melissa

p.p.s. i just saw your mention of congestion/ allergy issues in relation to a nasal mask. i have pretty constant congestion to a degree myself and - believe it or not - have actually found that it's LESS with nasal mask use. not throughout the day, but when i'm hooked up & for a bit after, i.e. when i first wake up in the morning. not sure if it's b/c the air blowing in is less allergy-ridden than normal room air or if it's just b/c the air stream is keeping me "blown out" so to speak, but there's definitely a difference for me, and my allergies are by no means improved. obviously we're all different, but just thought i'd let ya know...

Thanks, Melissa. I'd remembered that you had a masked you really liked, just couldn't find the post. From the looks of it, I couldn't quite tell what part of your face is covered. What is the part that contacts your skin made of? silicone? The comfort is really going to be an issue with me.

My machine is resmed, so I don't know if I can use a non-resmed mask with it? Or do they just tell you it has to be the same brand, to keep you brand loyal?

I managed to actually sleep with it for two hours last night ( as opposed to lying awake for 90 minutes, and sleeping 30 minutes). the issue seems to be when I get up to go to the bathroom, I can't get comfortable again. I guess I should leave it on, and just disconnect the hose? So I guess if I can add a little more time each night...

I just get so darn hot and sweaty in the middle of the night, and that's what makes it unbearable I think. The silicone just feels so sticky, slimy, and clammy. Being premenstrual and perimenopausal doesn't help with night sweats, I must say. I turned the thermostat down to the low 60s and still was boiling--with and without the mask!

hi michele (it's one "l", right? do let me know if i'm remembering incorrectly!!) -

regarding brands, i don't think there are ANY masks/ machines that require the brands to match, so if you've been told that your mask has to be the same brand as your machine then i'm 99% certain that you're being fed a load of crappola. my mask(s) have been compatible with 3 different machines that i've used at home (my original CPAP, a portable CPAP i purchased to allow me to sleep on car trips, & my current BiPAP) as well as several different hospital machines at several different hospitals for both my normal sleeping routine as well as one stay wherein i was on BiPAP (& loads of oxygen) 24/7 as a supportive breathing device when i was in ICU fighting septic shock & multilobe pneumonia/ pleural effusions, which - just barely - kept me from having to be put onto a ventilator. when i'm not that ill the respiratory therapists in the hospital comment on & ask about my mask as hospitals don't tend to have a lot of variety in the mask department; they generally have older/ cheaper models as well as usually stocking larger sizes. so...i have my older (but still functional) mask packed in my "emergency hospital bag" as it's prevents my having to try to use huge masks that then have to be taped all over my face in order to even partially work (what i've been told they often do), which inevitably would then leave me with rashes/ blisters all over. not fun!!! but i have gotten WAY off topic. bottom line is that the brand of you machine/ mask shouldn't matter one bit. the equipment is all universal so aside from individual components of masks/ machines themselves you should NOT be limited by the brand of your machine. it's really deplorable if a supplier is giving you that incorrect info. hopefully just an innocent mistake but quite possibly more related to how much they make off of certain products, arrangements they have with particular manufacturers, etc. gggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. but anyway...

for your more specific mask questions i'm answering only in regard to my favorite mask, the ComfortLite II (the first one i have listed in my other post). the part of the mask that touches my face is a silicone-type material (not 100% certain if it's silicone but if not it's something very close!), as well as the straps which are a synthetic fabric of some sort. my skin tends to be pretty sensitive in general, and even more so on/ around my face and/or in any situation wherein i'm using a product repeatedly over a long period of time, but this mask has continued to be a non-issue for me in terms of skin sensitivity. every once in awhile i suppose i get a small bit of itching but not any more than i might get from a pillow/ blanket hitting me the wrong way occassionally; definitely NOT a major issue and not anything that i've even thought about or noticed until your questions got me thinking! and for what it's worth, the silicone (or silicone type material) on this mask is a bit softer, pliable, more "gelly-like" than some of the other masks i tried along the way.

in regard to where on the face the mask hits, it depend on which of the three mask attachment options you choose. the one i prefer "hits" around what i suppose would be described as the outline around my nose? the other two options are different in that they hit in/ around each nostril individually which - for me - was more irritating; people have individual preferences though & it's nice that you usually can receive at least two of the three options to try out when you first order the mask.

regarding your comment/ question about leaving the mask on when you get up to use the bathroom, i doubt leaving it on would help the situation much b/c the design of the masks doesn't permit for regular breathing/ airflow when it's not connected to a machine. while a short trip to the bathroom wouldn't likely be dangerous in the way that wearing the mask for a long period could be, it still might leave you feeling short of breath and/or a bit suffocated. i suppose it wouldn't hurt to give it a try but i'd be surprised if you like the way it leaves you feeling (though this may vary a bit from mask to mask). i can certainly appreciate the annoyance of sleep disruption that comes with connecting/ disconnecting from the machine. on top of the BiPAP i have several other machines that i have to unplug/ disconnect in various ways & then carry with me whenever to get to the bathroom and it really is a big pain in the you know what b/c it really does disrupt sleep in a way that's far beyond "just" waking up to use the bathroom. i'm a hard sleeper who generally falls asleep quickly & can sleep through most anything (with some exceptions, i.e. severe pain issues), and it's a bother to me; i can only imagine how much more of a bother it must be for someone who isn't as "good" of a sleeper as i am (one of the few things that my body - as long as my BiPAP is good to go - does well anymore!)

sorry that i don't have any better suggestions to offer in regard to getting used to a mask in general; i consider myself lucky that - once i found the mask that worked for me - i was someone who had no trouble sleeping through the night with my mask/ machine going. i think part of it may have been that - without my machine/ mask - i was waking up almost every 10-15 minutes throughout the night, so my body wanted to badly to sleep & was finally able to do so that it didn't care about the new hook-ups involved. it's more common than not though to have some degree of trouble getting used to using the mask/ machine, so don't think you're on your own by any means. aside from making sure your mask is the best mask from you, something that is VERY important, and just sticking with it (as you seem to be doing), you might find some other discussion/ suggestions on the matter on an apnea/ sleep disorder forum. the one i used a little bit right after my diagnosis was http://www.apneasupport.org/ in case you're interested. i by no means did a study to find the "best" place for info, but it seemed to be an okay place.

hang in there and let me know if i can help in any other way, including if you'd have interest in trying out any of my spare masks.

:blink: melissa

Thanks, Melissa! That's really helpful. (I think the medical supply people have some sort of deal with resmed-- whether the tech knew or not. Glad that's really a non-issue).

The sweaty face is gonna be an ongoing issue, esp. as I move deeper into perimenopause. I also sleep with a soft cervical collar to keep my hypermobile neck from lolling around. and the two together leave me way too hot--like I've just stuck my head under the shower.

I wish I were a good sleeper. A good night is when I only get up three times. Six and seven is not uncommon. If some of it is apnea related, maybe it will get better.

Michele (yes-- one 'l'. Thanks for noticing!!)

Well, I slept with the mask on most of the night--save an hour or so. I did check out the apnea support site, and from that decided to desensitize myself to the mask by wearing it around before bed (and I could breathe with it). This helped me be a little less freaked by it when it came time to go to bed. It's still hot, but I put a little baby powder on my face, and that seemed to help. I woke up just as often as usual-- about four times? So we'll have to see if that happens.

During the hour or so that I slept without it, I woke myself up gasping--a reminder that I do need this.

One thing that was disconcerting is that I did wake myself up with the mask on with my own snoring at one point-- I thought one shouldn't be able to snore with cpap. I'll hunt around to see why-- mask too loose, etc.? I hope I'm not going to need more pressure. It's still really weird to have this gizmo on my face and know it's probably for the long haul. I have some extra poundage (25/30?) that I could lose that might help, but that won't happen overnight, and I've also been told Ijust have a narrow airway. Also with eds, it's probably a little more collapsible than most. (My pcp and migraine doc were surprised to hear I had apnea, because I guess it is somewhat unusual in general in women my age. I might be chunky, but not obese, and a relatively normal-sized neck.)

So I hope this all pays off in better health and wellbeing.

michele -

glad to hear you're continuing to plug along with the machine/ mask. i hope it gets easier & easier for you but hear of so many that toss aside the machine after a bit of trouble never to return, which is unfortunate.

lest you think i'm enjoying better sleep than i am, i suppose i have a fairly broad definition of "good" these days. while i did used to enjoy nights of uninterrupted slumber, those days are now only memories. and fond ones at that:-). these days, more related to various machines beeping/ buzzing as well as bladder issues, pain spikes, etc, i consider it a "good" night if i wake up 3-4 times rather than anything more than that. i do get the occasional treat of a 2-wake-up night but it's a rarity. so don't waste any energy being too jealous!!!

i can't offer any wisdom re: the snoring issue b/c i've never snored (the anomoly in apnea land!)

as a continuation of the name discussion, i think i'm a bit more attuned to different/ unique spellings b/c i'm an "anne with an "e"" middle-namer who always wants to make sure that "e" on the end is included! that and i'm a details gal who is at times TOO picky about the "little things". ah well.

hope your nights continue to get better & better.

Thanks again, you guys for all your support. I pretty much kept it on all last night, but really not great sleep. I went to bed around 930, and then was up roughly every 90 minutes after midnight. Who knows why. I do have to say, though, that the past two days, after nearly full nights with the cpap, I HAVE NOT WOKEN UP WITH A HEADACHE!!!! I usually have something between a mild,annoying headache to a migraine in the early morning. Too early to be sure, but this would make all the annoyance of the cpap worthwhile!!! And my migraine doc really thinks that I'll eliminate a lot of my "background headaches" with cpap-- since low oxygen is a big headache trigger for most people. So maybe some of my surge in headaches the past couple years is apnea-related???

The bridge of my nose is red and sore, so still some tinkering with the darn mask is in order.

Okay, I'm still getting used to the cpap, but let me say that the 3 nights that I've made it most of the way through with it on, I've woken up WITH NO TRACE OF A HEADACHE!!! This is huge for me, as I usually wake up with anything from a mild headache to a killer migraine. I guess I'm finally getting enough oxygen!!!