Tetnus Shot

icthus

Two days ago I cut my finger on a kitchen knife - deep. I bandaged it and it seemed to be healing. Last night infection set in (throbbing great pain and extreme tenderness) deep in the finger, not at the surface. The Urgent Care physician prescribed Cephalexin and Bactrim to be taken concurrently for 7 days. X-rays revealed that the bone was not chipped.

The last time I had a tetanus booster was over 14 years ago. The MD looked at my condition and said the call was mine to make. With autoimmune dysautonomia, POTS, and chemical sensitivities, she didn't want to recommend anything.

As an aside, my daughter had a severe reaction to the tetanus shot (administered so she could go abroad) - it actually partially locked her jaw - the oral surgeon validated that the jaw was inflamed when she was referred to him for a consult.

Any advise? My regular physician will not make a recommendation either. I'm winging this one alone, not by choice. Any help would be most appreciated.

Hi, I can't advise you on your own circumstances but I can tell you what the current UK practice on Tetanus shots is. We used to be given boosters every 10 years but they now say if you had a full primary course (3 shots in childhood) then a booster 10 years later (we get them in school aged 15) that you are covered for life, we are not offered extra shots. My last tetanus was given in 1993.

Tetanus is a bacteria found in the soil that can cause a horrible illness. Wounds that are particularly likely to be infected with tetanus are falls onto the ground, any injury with mud in it or injuries sustained around animals such as horses, basically any break in the skin that involved soil being near the wound.

Thinking of you while you have to make this choice,

Flop

I had my booster shot last year and felt a little funny after, but it went away after day or so. You can search old posts, as I think a few others here have too. I think the tetanus booster also includes diptheria and whooping cough, which I think is on the rise. It may be worth getting immunized unless there is a risk of permanent damage. I'd think the risk would be pretty low, but it's really the dr who should be walking you through the risks. Do you have a POTS dr that you can talk to?

Hi!

I just had mine last year. I was not very excited about getting the T-dap. Mainly b/c with neuro. conditions and meds I was on they were hesitant and the pamphlet warned of seizure etc. as a reaction if have history of seizures etc. It worked out fine though. I was a little extra tired and that is all I remember. I have no recommendation. I would ask a few drs opinion. I hope it works out well.

Good luck!