My Sleep Study Results

morgan617

I got a call today from a tech. She woke me up, so I was a bit rummy. She said I don't have sleep apnea, I just have "events" I asked her what the events were, if not sleep apnea, and she said , "well sleep apnea."

I guess it's abnormal, but not abnormal enough. Just as I predicted. But I'm not sure how they can say I don't have sleep apnea, but I just have sleep apnea???? I called and asked them to send the report. (She said I could call and make an appointment if I had any questons, yeah like I'm going to pay one more penny for that kind of double talk......so I hung up.)

I guess when she said "events" I expected some disturbance in my sleep pattern or something....am I still this stupid???? morgan

Hi Morgan,

I had a verbal report on my sleep study that said mild insomnia--improve sleep hygiene. I got the actuall report and I work up 90 times, never entered stage 3 or 4 for even a minute and had only a few minutes of REM--but actually didn't have apnea.

Still the neuologist's verbal report didn't really snc with what I saw in the written report. Get your written report.

I would think that you have a RIGHT to a copy of your report. You paid for their services so they work for you. Call back and demand a copy of your report!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, guess I woke up a little testy today but seriously they cannot refuse you a copy of your own medical records.

mary

Sleep study #1 = Sleep apnea and I was not sleeping enough but I couldn't tolerate a c-pap so surgery was done AND a follow-up study that concluded I was not sleeping enough. They told me since I was not sleeping enough I needed to sleep 10 hours a night

Uhm.... I'm not sleeping so I need to sleep (??) more?? Yeah....

Sleep study# 2 = I cannot tolerate a c-pap and I have severe OSA... (duh!)

But their DME provider called a week later wanting to come set up my c-pap. Hmmm....

Sleep study # 3 = I cannot tolerate a c-pap and I have severe OSA....

Okay. On this one I was instructed NOT to take any sedating drugs (Xanax) or pain meds that might have a sedative effect - like my vicodin. So during the night I never got to sleep! At 3am the tech came in and told me that even if I got to sleep b then there would not be enough time to test me.

But again, a week later their DME provider called wanting to come set up a c-pap.

I'm pretty convinced, by now - sleep studies are a scam!

Well, I have to say, I am sorry I got it. I think I shouldn't have taken all my potassium and meds, but who knows. From what I gathered, it sounds pretty much like my son's and they slapped a cpap on him within a few days, although his was mild too. It just gets annoying.

I think if she had just said, you have episodes, but they are not enough to fit the criteria or whatever.

But then, who are people to decide that because you don't drop your sats to 70%, it can't possibly affect you. If you are already very compromised on just about everything, it doesn't take much to push you over the edge. Ya know.

If they don't mail it, I'll just go get it.

Dawg, I love it, he said to me, you fall asleep so fast...well DER, I can't stay awake. And you get the opposite....I'm sure my primary will love this after I've already had to grovel at his feet and he has refused to order one, I can picture him nyahing me at this moment, how pathetic is that. Now I get to wait for poo results that will say, these are not normal, but they are just not abnormal enough.....Lord help me....morgan

PLEASE...do not make my thread about political statements!!! It is not about politics, it was about my frustration at yet another dead end diagnosis that has nothing to do with private or universal health care or politics. It was about being frustrated at life in general....Thank you...morgan

Oh, Morgan!! For goodness sake! Yes, do get your report. And if that doesn't answer your questions, then ask for the Data Summary Report. This is the report that is given to the Doc so a report can be dictated. Scoring sometimes is a big factor in these reports.

I am so sorry that your test turned out this way. :)

I just got my report today and it is helpful. I think they don't want to treat it if you have fewer than five events/hour. I average 7, so will get treatment. But even if overall mild, during rem, it is bad (48.6/hour), and I stop breathing an average of 23 seconds per event , and as long as 53. It was useful to see that on the report.

Michele