Sudden Hearing Loss During Pots Episode?

paona

I know several of you have talked about ear issues, hearing issues, dizziness, etc. and thinking there was a connection to POTS. My 16 year old was at basketball practice and towards the end they all laid on the floor to talk. She said that all of a sudden she couldn't hear what they were saying or at least not make out anything being said. She had no pain in her ears, no fullness, no sounds in her ears, She said she felt dizzy and felt like she would pass out but after awhile everything returned to normal. She felt it was related to her POTS since she felt that funny fading away feeling when feeling like passing out but instead of visual it was auditory fading. I forgot what was mentioned before about possible theories of why you think this happens? I'm also thinking this might have been part of a pain-free migraine. I'd like to hear any ideas about how this might be connected to POTS. She sees her doctor on Friday so we can mention this to him. We reminded her to get more salt just before practice, and lots of fluids. Tomorrow is her first game so we will see how things go.

My hearing gets very fuzzy (like I'm hearing everything through a very long tunnel and can hear people talking but not what they're saying) when I am close to passing out. Since my hearing has been tested and is really good, I have always chalked this up to the lack of oxygen to my brain during an acute pre-syncopal episode. But, of course, being able to explain it doesn't make it less scary when it's happening to you. :(

Fading out of sounds / hearing is a classic pre-syncope warning symptom. For me my vision and hearing often fade at the same time but they can happen separately. It is all related to the brain not getting enough blood flow / oxygen and so some brain functions start to switch off. Probably a good thing your daughter was lying down when this happened.

Flop