I'm Scared

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry I've been a little absent as of late. I've been so busy trying to find a new job (while still doing my old one) that I haven't been here much. I hope this finds you all doing OK.

I was doing really well until about a week or so ago. Almost overnight, it seems like I started being in pain. The worst is my shins (it feels like shinsplints) and my lower back. It aches really bad. I went to the doctor (urgent care, not anyone I'd seen before) and she thinks it's overuse from riding my recumbent bike. But that doesn't make a lot of sense to me, because I hadn't changed how I was riding it at all. I DID go on a power walk for the first time in a long time, which maybe could aggravate my shins, but I'm not sure there isn't something else going on.

From what I've been able to tell, I do have a lot of the "tender points" they talk about with fibromyalgia. I have an appointment to see my regular family doctor next week, but I don't know if she knows much about fibro.

Does a full-blown case of fibromyalgia come on that fast? I was fine two weeks ago.

I'm just scared. I don't want to be in pain forever. Whenever I'm in pain, it's so easy for me to think that it will never go away, and that this is my new "normal."

Does anyone have any ideas? Any words of encouragement? I just want to feel like I did two weeks ago!

Amy

Amy

I was wondering where you were...! Okay so first you must tell yourself that you won't be in pain forever. Believe me, I know what it feels like to think it will never end (IC) but it does get better. Anxiety about pain lasting forever makes the current pain feel worse. Next, try to remember that POTS turns up the volume on everything. Our bodies are already struggling and we are trained to look for body changes because that is the way we have learned to predict a crash/flare whatever you want to call it. I believe a power walk could produce such changes and the pain you describe. Don't jump to any conclusions yet. Rest, take your favorite over the counter pain med and see if you can get on top of this.

AMY I HAVE READ YOUR POSTS SINCE YOU JOINED. YOU ARE WISE AND FUNNY AND STRONG. BREATH, WATCH SOME TV, READ A BOOK, HUG YOUR HUBBY and make a plan of action in case the pain persisits for a few more days. YOU CAN DO THIS!!

OO

LINA

Thanks, you guys! :huh:

I've calmed down from my panicked post this morning. I think it's probably a combo of power walking after a winter of just riding bike, being more sensitive to pain than others (possibly) and being really anxious. I'm waiting to hear back about a job that I had a second interview for, and I'm really stressed about it! But I certainly will ask about the Vitamin D too. I'm seeing my doc Wednesday.

It's so nice to know that I can come here (even if I've been a bit absent) and find friends! I really appreciate it.

Amy

Amy, you are always welcome here - many members don't post for months or years but it is always good to hear from everyone. I suspect that it is more likely to be an acute muscular problem from your power walking - often the worst aches come on 2-3 days after the exercise. I think fibromyalgia has a much slower onset, affects a wide range of your muscles and has to be persisten for a diagnosis to be made. However, even if something like fibromyalgia is diagnosed it is not a "disaster". Like with POTS, one would need to search for a doc who knew about fibro and was willing to work to find a med combo but it is a managable condition and it can go away again.

Hope the pains settle quickly,

Flop