Pounding Heart

villen

Hi all

I just wondered...the pounding heart thing, is that due to a lower blood pressure (b.c of betablockers)? or lower blood volume? I get this often after eating, exercise...is it like the heart has to compensate?or is it due to stress hormones ? )I suffer from anxiety as well)

Just need a reasurrence....is POTS dangerous? I tend to freak out when the symptoms are bad, but my doc tells me not to worry. I don`t have very high rates, ususally my average rate is in the 70-90s, when I stand up after eating a large meal it can go up to 120 and higher when climbing steps ( on a bad day). Had an echo and holter a few months ago, everything normal!

Hope you all are coping:)

Villen

I also have increased hr and more noticable beats after eating. This can be reduced to some degree by increasing fluids. After you eat your body releases a chemical to shunt blood to the abdomen--for POTS patients this can exaccerbate symptoms especially if you already have somewhat low blood volume. POTS patients also typically have higher hr during exercise. You can ask your doctor (for reassurance) if it is ok to exercise. For most POTS patients exercise is key to getting better as it increases blood volume, endurance, -- strong muscles in your lower legs help reduce blood pooling.

Take Care, Katherine

I also have increased hr and more noticable beats after eating. This can be reduced to some degree by increasing fluids. After you eat your body releases a chemical to shunt blood to the abdomen--for POTS patients this can exaccerbate symptoms especially if you already have somewhat low blood volume. POTS patients also typically have higher hr during exercise. You can ask your doctor (for reassurance) if it is ok to exercise. For most POTS patients exercise is key to getting better as it increases blood volume, endurance, -- strong muscles in your lower legs help reduce blood pooling.

Take Care, Katherine

thanks, katherine!good and logic answer:) My doc thinks its all anxiety, and always says I have to exercise, my psych.also says I should exercise...so I guess I have the reasurrence (I was very fit and in good shape two years ago, so I know that being deconditoned worsen my symptoms dramatically!but its hard to get in a good shape when you feel worse under and afer exercise) I have also lost a few pounds lately, I guess that its contributing to the lower the blood volume rhing.

thanks again

take care u 2

Hi,

don't worry about loosing weight (unless you are too thin) - as far as I know there is no link between loosing weight and blood volume being less, if anything I suspec blood volume might increase slightly.

Exercise is good for us but you have to listen to your body and do tiny amounts and increase as you can tolerate. For example I used to be a competitive swimmer and my coach used to have us do 50 lengths of the pool to warm up before we started proper drill work. Last summer I decided to try swimming for the first time in years. The freedom of the water felt great and I pushed myself to swim 30 lengths - I paid dearly and was off work sick for a week after that, so dizzy I couldn't walk. I have recently ventured into the swimming pool again, I did just 6 lengths and still felt relatively wiped out for a few days afterwards, but no big crash. I think the trick will be to just do those 6 lengths until my body gets used to it, then increase to 8 lengths an so on.

Happy gentle exercising,

Flop

thanks so much, guys!Comments are appreciated:) But is POTS ever dangerous? As suffering with major anxiety as well, I often get scared when the heart is pounding ( esp. when I move)I have read that its not life threathening, but life altering. My blood pressure is normal most of the time I guess, so I don`t think I have "dangerously"low blood pressure...have never fainted either. just get the pounding and racing heart,like mini-panics all of the time almost....

Have any of you gotten better after being sick for a while? I guess I just need hope and motivation..

Villen:)

POTS is not considered life-threatening. For some people it causes high bp which is a cardiovascular risk if not treated. It can also cause fainting and the risk of falling could be considered life-threatening. Otherwise, no, POTS is considered benign. It is hard to believe that when you are feeling badly.

Many people improve over time. I was bedridden in 2003 and now work full time and live a very normal life with minor symptoms 90% of the time. You do have to learn how to manage the condition. Increasing fluids, managing your life so you don't over-extend yourself and end up "crashing", gentle exercise, and other lifestyle changes are generally needed to manage POTS well.