Migraine Drug (keppra) And Low Mood

mkoven

I've been on keppra, a relatively new anticonvulsant, as a migraine preventive for several weeks at the current dose. At the same time I last increased the dose, I noticed that my mood took a turn for the worse. I just randomly feel like crying and have a great deal of apathy I have to push through to do things. The other possibility is hormonal, as my cycles have been really off.

But the timing with keppra seems suspicious. When I last saw my migraine doc (last week), she thought it was possible it was the keppra, but could also be because I'm having a rough time in general. She is pleased that I otherwise tolerate the keppra (no allergy). but I don't know that it's helping the headaches so much and I really feel like I'm not myself. I have little to no interest in food, and let me assure you all, this is NOT like me. Typically if I'm in a blue spell, I'm very interested in food. I'm inclined to think it is the keppra, but understand why my doctor doesn't want to take me off prematurely. (BTW, mood changes are one of the major side effects listed for this drug-- depression, anger, anxiety...)

So how do you tell for sure that a symptom is a side effect and not "just you" ? I'm tired of walking around feeling like I'm fighting back tears. I don't want to shut the door on a potential remedy, but I feel awful.

Thanks, Nina. I guess the question is how to get the doctor to agree. She is inclined to attribute my current mood to something else. and I can't promise that there is nothing else going on... But today, I want OFF the keppra.

I'm also afraid of burning through meds, as I'm so hard to medicate.

I'm being tapered off keppra, as it does seem to be giving me a huge dose of apathy and flat affect. Not that I want migraines, but I'm normally someone who has pleasurable/enjoyable moments, even during a rough spell. Since upping the dose, I've felt like the joy was getting squished out of me. Apathy isn't usually my problem.

I'm touching base with the doc in a week to see how I'm doing. And then we'll have to figure out the next preventive to try.

I already feel a little more like myself. (which among other things means I've got an appetite again.)

She thinks it will be another anti-seizure drug, as I can't take tricyclics, beta-blockers, or calcium-channel blockers. Sigh.

Okay, now I'm convinced that Keppra was the culprit. I feel like my old self again--definitely not flat, sad, and apathetic.

Unfortunately, I"ve also had some pretty bad migraines this week. Complete with "special effects"-- flickering lights and facial numbness.

So how to find a cure that's no worse than the disease. I'm not willing to trade migraines for depression. What's the point of having fewer migraines, if you feel so blah that you don't even really care?

So we'll see what's the next drug...