Migraine Update

mkoven

I just wanted to follow up on where I am with my migraine prevention regime, since my starting with the Diamond Headache clinic.

I really like them, and think that they have plenty of tricks up their sleeve, but I am having a rough time. No magic bullet yet.

They first had me on nimotop, a calcium-channel blocker, as a preventive. It dropped my bp too much and we had to stop.

I've been on keppra for several weeks now, a relatively new anti-convulsant. At first I thought it helped with the pain. Now I think not so much. It hasn't made a dent in my creepy neuro symptoms-- vertigo, losing the ability to focus one eye, blurring, eye coldness and other weirdo visual symtpoms and sensations, clumsiness, and strange sensations of numbness/weakness on one-side of my face and/or one arm. And possible some of my bp drops could be migraine related, as they think I have basilar artery migraines.

And since we increased the keppra dose, my mood has taken a turn for the worse. I frequently want to just start crying randomly throughout the day-- not typical of me.

I've let the clinic know all this, and am following up next week. I don't know what the follow up plan will be. I have a feeling keppra is not going to be the drug we stick with. With the mood symptoms, I'm not comfortable increasing the dose.

I clearly need to be on something preventive. For this type of migraine, triptans are out. I can't take beta-blockers with my history of anaphylaxis, and I"m allergic to at least four tricyclics. So we'll have to see what the next step is.

On the upside, by keeping a diary, I've learned more about my triggers.

Besides hormones, I'm super-sensitive to light in general. I find that I do better if I work with just natural daylight, no overhead, and wear sunglasses whenever I'm out. I need anti-glare screens on my computers.

I've also noticed that I often start a migraine after getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. I wonder if the change in position does something strange to my bp, that then sets a headache in motion, if I've been sleeping before. And after it's triggered, I can't lie flat without intense head-throbbing. I then have to sleep with my head a little elevated (like in a recliner.)

Thanks to biofeedback, I've noticed that when I am more headache-prone, my hands are positively frozen. Can't always warm them, but that's the goal. And this is a little embarrassing, but I've noticed that sometimes sex can stop a headache. Good to know, but not always effective, practical, or appropriate.