Two Weeks On Toprol

Angelika_23

So I've been on Toprol for two weeks. I am feeling better, or at least I was until this week. I am trying to catch that stupid cold that everyone else is getting and of course it is setting my POTS off. I am wearing an event monitor right now so they can keep track of what my HR is doing. I have been sending in recordings every night. The doctor said I am still getting readings higher than he likes when I am up and moving around. But I wonder if it is just because my POTS is acting up because I'm trying to get sick...

Since I started the Toprol, I have started being VERY tired, more tired than before. It is keeping my heart rate down to the high 90's to low 100's while I am sitting, so that is definitely an improvement. But when I go up stairs, the numbers jump. The doctor said I can increase my dose of Toprol if I want to... But do I want to do that? This is the XR stuff, so it is working even when I am sleeping and my HR goes below normal when I sleep without the Toprol. And sitting I am not too bad, it is just when I climb stairs or walk too far that the numbers go up. I got to 179 while walking the stairs at work yesterday. I've been taking the elevator since. That is not a fun HR.

I am glad I am seeing some improvement. I can get through 32 hours a week at work now. :P It is rough, and I am soooo tired, but I am doing it. Now if I can just get back to dancing... (ha ha)

Three months until I get to see Dr. Grubb. I am sooo looking forward to that visit.

as long as your HR isnt high constantly it is not a concern. my HR's still get up in the 180's intermittently throughout the day and i'm on 100 mg's of toprol and 100 mg's of flecainide.

if the heart is getting a "break" during the day, than a HR of 179 for a couple seconds/minutes here and there throughout the day when you go upstairs/take a shower/whatever is fine. i know it doesnt "feel" fine, but it's not going to hurt your heart any for an occasional increase to that rate throughout the day. only a sustained high HR would be of concern for things like tachycardiac induced cardiomyopathy, etc.

take care.

cardiactec.

i see dr.grubb in july, and cant wait to see him also. i actually saw my cardiologist a couple days ago and he had one of his other patients go out to see him and the patient had nothing but good things to say about dr.grubb. i have heard such wonderful things about him......sounds like a really humble and compassionate guy.....

Edited by Sunfish
Removed incorrect info re: Dr Grubb.

I hope you continue to feel better and get rid of that icky evil cold/flu stuff that is going around! Toprol and other beta blockers can make people pretty tired especially in the beginning, I think it can take a month or so for your body to get used to it and then see less of these symptoms.

Hope it gets better soon!