Too Tachy???

jjpots

I've had to start a new pt job (only 10 hours in 3 days) but the job is pretty physically demanding for me. It's cleaning an office bldg. and a dirty warehouse type of place. Anyway, I've only done it for 6 days total and I've been feeling really tired even on the days I'm not working. This past Sat. (the last day I worked) I realized I felt like my heart was going really fast so I checked and it was 220.

My questions is: is there a certain heart rate that can be harmful to your heart? I'm also concerned because of my hx of cardiomyopathy. Not sure which doc. to ask about it either. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JJH

Guest tearose

Oh my 220!

How the heck did you stand that?

I bet you were tired from that nevermind the job duties.

I don't know what the overall effects are. I want to believe we bounce back but just like there can be small fibre damage in our legs, couldn't we be damaging the fibres in our heart? Maybe damage is the wrong word. But the fibers loose the ability to keep our blood pressure up so maybe the ones in our heart are also not working well.

Now this is something to learn about, thank you!

tearose

Generally, though a SINUS tach has the potential of running at a 200 + BPM rate, it is rarely seen - even in someone young who is running at max (I do stress testing and rarely ever see sinus rates over 200 at maximal exercise capacity - and i do pedi's up to 90 year olds, and even in the kids, never have seen over 200)

have you ever worn a holter or event monitor when your rates are this high so the doctor can look at the onset and offset mechanism of the tachycardia along with it's morphology to make sure that this is just sinus tach (ie: pots) instead of true PSVT? ....or less likely VT?

that rate is very fast, i'm sure i dont have to tell you that. you need to check in with your doctor if this is something new and/or has not been further investigated.

take care.

Thanks for the input. I have had an event monitor and holter before but, of course, it was never like that when I had it on. I was thinking I will call my cardiologist to see what he thinks about it. I am on fludrocort, pyrigdostigmine and was wearing my abdominal binder but I think it is just the work is so physically demanding for someone my size and then add the pots onto it. I wish I could find something else I could do that wouldn't be so physical.

Take care guys!

JJH

My heart rates can go sky high when exercising if I am not taking a beta-blocker. Before my POTS ever became an issue (although I already had standing HR of 120/min) I had an exercise test - I maintained a sinus tachy of 212 for 2 mins before the doctor stopped the test. I didn't feel too bad and could have carried on going with the next stage if I had been allowed to. (I completed 15mins of a standard Bruce protocol).

At the moment, even on Bisoprolol I can get heart rates of 170 from walking up the stairs with a bag of groceries.

Flop

I've had 273 but I couldn't even feel it. I was in agony all over from an allergic reaction I was having. I am now getting a flare up of POTS and like you, jjh, my rates are far higher than before. I'm not sure what to do as 'i can't take betablockers and my bp is actually pretty high for me (140/104).

Let us know how youget on

I'm going to check it again this Sat. after I'm almost done with my working day. That was when I did it before. Maybe I just can't do the math right???? I don't know how long it stayed like that because I had to finish mopping the floor and didn't want anyone to walk in and see me taking my pulse and get nervous! Good news is I'm going to be going to another building after this Sat. that shouldn't be so difficult on me physically.

I'm sorry to hear others do have these experiences too but, once again, it's good to know I"m not crazy either!

Take care everyone.

JJH

Hi JJH,

the best way to take your heart rate is to count your pulse for a full minute, otherwise do it for 30 seconds and double it. I know some people do shorter times than this but when you are tachycardic it is difficult to count properly and the longer you count for the more accurate your answer is.

If the pulse in your wrist is difficult to count, try feeling the one in your neck to the side of your adam's apple/voice box (also if someone walks in they are less likely to guess what you are doing that way).

I hope the change of building helps you,

Flop

Guest tearose

If you really want to get a handle on what your heartrate is why not try a heart rate monitor?

It will display your heartrate in the moment. It reads constantly and updates every 5 seconds.

It is also an excellent tool for behavior modification.

Once you put it on, set your ideal low and ideal high and forget about it. When you get in a danger zone it will go into alarm and you can accommodate yourself.

best regards,

tearose

Hi Tearose,

Are those the watch type of things people were talking about in a previous post? Where would I get one?

Thanks,

JJH

Flop,

I usually take it in my neck as I have a hard time feeling any pulse at my wrist. I will try doing it for a full minute and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice!

JJH

Hi JJH,

there are 2 types of Heart rate monitors. One type you wear a band round your chest that sends a signal to a watch display showing your heart rate constantly. The other sort is a watch with a button on the front - when you hold your finger on the button it displays your heart rate. Both types detect the electrical activity of your heart either from 2 places on your chest wall or from your wrist and the opposite finger. The first sort are a bit more expensive but give a readout all the time so you can set alarms as already suggested.

In the UK you can usually buy both sorts in large supermarkets, I have one of each sort bought in ASDA (Walmart). You can also get them in sporting goods stores or some pharmacies.

Flop

Guest tearose

jjh, I am not sure which previous post you are referring to.

To answer your question tho, I have been using the POLAR heart rate monitors that have the strap transmitter on the chest and the receiver/watch on the wrist. Mine are simple with no special features. You can find these at Sports Authority and I think I recall they have a website where I got information on replacing a battery. Point is, they are reliable and just keep on working.

good luck,

tearose

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into that.

JJH