Link Between Feeling Faint And Sleepy??

mkoven

Hi,

Recently I've noticed that when I'm in a bad state (now), I often feel intensely sleepy when I also want to pass out--like I may do both at the same time. Sometimes I almost feel drugged, like I've had a sedative-- when the only drug in my system is ibuprofen and maybe midodrine. Anyone else have this? I want to yawn a lot-- a brain's signal of wanting more oxygen??

I feel that way after having many tachy runs across time--my original diagnosing cardiologist explained it as my body running sprints over and over again, leaving me feeling exhausted when it kicks in again. I think yawning is related to getting the brain oxygenated? Too lazy to look it up this am (sinus infection has me tired too).

Nina

I read somewhere (too tired to look it up now!) that fatigue is particularly bad after/during a flare up of symptoms. I don't know the mechanism behind it, but I guess it's common.

It is very much related. Your brain only needs a small percentage of the blood supply that it receives to keep the cells alive however there is a huge buffer there in case of emergency. When I say huge the numbers are around 10-20% of normal blood flow (don't remember exactly). So if you lose 80% of your blood volume (aka pressure) your brain is still fine. Your not though because you have passed out a long time ago. The point where your brain decides to take measures to keep blood flowing is somewhere around 10% (again this is off the top of my head not true numbers). So if you lose 10% of your blood flow to your brain your gonna pass out.

Why?

Its a safety mechanism. The quickest surest way to increase blood flow to your brain is to reduce the force of gravity that has to be worked against so you go horizontal. Its the same reason you get tired before you pass out its your brain trying to get you to that horizontal position to increase blood flow. Its the only way your brain knows how to do it on its own.

The human body is an amazing resilient thing it hurts us the most when it acts against itself like with POTS and cancer. The body knows what to do better if we break a bone or get shot than it does if it is acting against itself.