Carrying On A Conversation

Tammy

Well with the family gatherings approaching with the coming holidays, I know I will be required to carry on conversations with many people, however this is one of my big triggers for getting lightheaded, nausea, weakness, facial pressure, etc. Any ideas on how to be socialable without having to talk to much and not look like I'm being anti-social? Or what could help with this symptoms? I tend to listen rather than talk as much as possible, but when it's "small" talk with lots of people/family all at once, not sure how to get through this better. It will be the week after my cycle begins, so know I will be less functionable anyway :( Thanks for any ideas !

- Tammy

I don't know what might work for you; but I take time away from the conversations.

I retreat for frequent bathroom breaks. I don't necessarily need to go, but it is a socially acceptable thing to do!

Also, I will change rooms from time to time for a short break from overwhelming talking. This also allows for me to have a bit of time to catch up on the new conversation without being required to participate. Most recently, I have acquired a lap dog and I shower him with attention when I would otherwise be expected to interact with family. It is sort of an elaborate ruse, but I do love my family and want to e with them without sounding stupid and incapable of following a conversation. So, I avoid the chatter and cross conversations when all are gathered and focus upon interacting with people one on one or in small gatherings when possible.

Good luck this season.

Guest tearose

I too don't do socials with lots of people anymore.

If I am among a group, I too sit a lot.

If you find a cozy chair or sofa and then stay there, people will come to you. You will see most people are able to stand and talk and only those who want to relax and talk with you will sit beside you. It is more manageable.

Pace yourself. One New Years eve, I actually asked the hostess (fellow teacher from religious school) if I could lay down somewhere and nap. I slept from 10pm till 11:57 pm and it helped immensely. I remember waking up, watching the ball drop, eating soup and going home!

With all the hub bub going on at these parties no one will miss you if you leave the room for a while!

tearose

I have the same problem, too. This year we will be having company Christmas Eve & Christmas Day. I tend to zone out during conversations, when I'm feeling lousy. Since the family knows my POTS problem, they are usually good about it. Sometimes, I will retreat to the bathroom for a little peace and quiet but I can't hide in there for too long <smile>. Usually, by the end of the night, I am wiped out and feel like a truck ran me over.