Amy, Was Wondering About Paxil

sue1234

I would be interested in hearing how it helped. I'm to the point that I'm wondering if a good psychiatrist(I'm meaning this in a GOOD way) could decipher my symptoms and relate it to the right chemical that's altering my system. Then, whether it's to lower noreipinephrine or raise something else, he would know which anti-depressant would work the best for me and my symptoms. I definitely wouldn't be using it for depression, because that is the only problem I don't have--thank goodness! My endos say it must be a heart problem and the heart doctor says he's sure it's an endocrine problem. I myself believe it either has to do with my Hashimoto's, that's unstable, or my female hormones messing with my body in a horrific way.

Hi Sue,

I didn't know that I had POTS before I stopped taking Paxil. I started getting all sorts of autonomic problems: tingling hands and feet, severe diarrhea, weight loss, chest pain, feeling like I was stuck in "fight or flight" mode. The most telling symptoms: Blacking out when climbing stairs and a heart rate of more than 150 bpm when I stood up. Needless to say, I restarted the Paxil. For the most part, the symptoms are gone, though I still get tachycardic if I do things such as take too hot of a shower (that happened the other day, and my heart was 160 bpm.

It seems like what it does is just make my autonomic nervous system behave better. I'm not sure why. I do know, however, that SSRIs help other people with dysautonomia, too.

My psychiatrist is probably the most useful doctor I have. I figured out that I must have POTS, and she helped me get in for a TTT with the local autonomic expert, which confirmed my diagnosis. She also has said she's more than willing to help me work with my medications if need be. So I think whoever is willing to help is a good doctor to know!

I was suspected to have an endocrine problem (maybe hyperthyroid), but that was normal. So I know where you're coming from!

The nice thing is, the dysautonomic explains my laundry list of chronic conditions (see my signature for more information.) I always thought I sure had a lot of problems for a basically healthy person!

I hope you find the help you need. Don't let up until you do!

Amy