What Heart Rate Monitors Are The Best?

ajw4790

I have two very different types of hear rate monitor watches.

The first one is made by Polar and is the sort used by athletes when training (I bought it when I was fit and doing lots of serious physical exercise) (cost about ?90 or approx $45, many years ago). It has a chest strap with electrode areas that you have to dampen before putting it on. It then sends a radio signal to the watch display unit or when I used the gym it would send the readouts direct to the treadmill etc. It is really good for using for fixed periods of time, like to see what your HR does whilst you go round the supermarket but the chest strap is not the most comfortable thing to wear.

The other one I bought for about ?10 (approx $5) in ASDA (Walmart). It only had the watch part, no chest strap. Basically it makes a reading from the back of the watch casing and a button on the front that you press with a finger. I find that it is really hard to get a reading unless I wet the back of the watch and my finger and stand absolutely still - by the time I've got a reading it is probably slower that it was when I felt the palpitations.

Mostly I just use a standard watch and count my pulse myself from my wrist. If you count over 15 seconds and multiply the number by 4 it will give you a rough HR.

I hope that helps a bit,

Flop

I have a Mio ecg accurate watch that does not need a strap and is easy to get a reading with. The newer ones are WAY prettier than mine--they had a cool hot pink version, smaller and nicer than mine, at the sporting goods store this weekend for about 90$.

Nina

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tearose

I have loved my Polar monitors for years. I have a few and they work so well I hesitate spending money on a new one since these old ones work wonderfully. I do like that little one Nina and grarduh mentioned..Mio. It would be my choice next time I needed one!

Flop's right, a lot of the commercial one's aren't the best and if you have a watch with a second hand you can do just as well taking your own pulse like the doctor does, touching the artery in your wrist while looking at the second hand for fifteen seconds. For me, a sweep second hand is easier than a digital, but whatever works for you. Then, as mentioned, multiply by four.

-Mark

Hi!

Mark and Flop: Yeah, I agree that would be the best way to check. I have just found due the combination of the Essential Tremor and neuropathy I have a difficult time taking my own pulse. Either I can't feel anything other than my own shaking or most of the time I just can not feel anything very well with my fingertips.

On a slightly different note I got a weird awakening when I was putting on nail polish on my toenails the other day, and found I couldn't feel when the polish got on my skin. Yes, I make a big mess when I try to do this, I don't do it often! :) I remember when I could feel it it would be wet and cold, it is weird to know I can't feel it (and scary!) :)

Thanks!

I recently bought a Sportline HR watch at Target. It was only about $45. I have trouble taking my HR as I can't tell what thump is my actual pulse and what thump is something extra that I'm feeling. Yuck. Never thought I'd have problems deciding what I feel and what is actually happening.

So far, I haven't had any real problems. Most of the time, I can get a rate just fine. There has been a few times when it just doesn't want to register anything. Oh well, I'm getting good data anyways.

For example, my hr increases on the elevators. Go figure. I don't have the endurance to go up the stairs cuz it raises my hr and I get too weak, but using the elevator increases my hr too. Fortunely, after the elevator, I recover much quicker.

That was just a gee whiz FYI for you :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Amy,

The carotid would also be fine to get your pulse.

Everyone, thanks for your help! I liked the idea for also looking at Target etc.

Kendra,

The HR increase may be due to anxiety, or increased/decreased BP as you body gets used to the gravitational changes. Not entirely sure...