Say What?

pat57

I will try. It took me a long time to finally get it.

The parasympathetic system is the part of the nervous system that helps your body to relax. It slows the heartbeat, slows breathing, etc. An example is how the body responds to meditation or yoga, which can help "kick in" the parasympathetic system.

The sympathetic nervous system is what "kicks in" during the fight or flight response. It speeds up breathing, speeds up heart rate, makes your hair stand on end, etc.

In "normal" people (whatever that is), the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems are in balance (though obviously, one or the other will be predominant at any one time.) If their sympathetic nervous system gets activated, the parasympathetic nervous system will work to balance it back out, and vice-versa.

In many people with dysautonomia, the sympathetic and parasympathetic systems are not in balance. One predominates. In me, it's the sympathetic, which is why I tend to be a nervous wreck (constant fight or flight.) In others, it could be the parasympathetic (which I think would be more relaxing, but I'm sure it also has its drawbacks!)

I have learned ways to boost the parasympathetic and reduce the sympathetic, such as relaxation techniques. Unfortunately, it doesn't "stick," and soon I'm back in sympathetic purgatory. The biggest help for me is drugs, unfortunately. The Paxil and Lyrica help a lot.

Hope that helps!

Amy