Menstrual Migraine Update

mkoven

Since I've been complaining so much recently about my migraines, thought I'd share some signs of improvement. I still haven't found a new local neurologist.

BUT, I've been taking ibuprofen 200-400mgs a couple times a day prophylactically since my killer migraine Wednesday night, knowing I was headed into serious hormonal territory. I'd been nervous about this given my recent bad reaction to naproxen, but I do seem to tolerate ibuprofen at this point. I've felt the beginnings of a migraine on and off since Thursday evening, but with the ibuprofen nothing has erupted into a fullblown attack. Today is the first day of my period--usually a guarantee of a migraine. I took 400 before I went to bed and 400 this morning, and so far just a faint/dull preheadache feel. Hope I continue to tolerate the ibuprofen and can stop by tomorrow. And of course, that I can keep any actual migraines at bay.

I'm glad that seems to be working for you! :unsure:

Have you ever tried a drug called midrin? (I think that's right.) It's a mixture of acetaminophen, caffeine and some sort of muscle relaxant. That's what I use for migraines, and it actually works better for me than the triptans. Cheaper, too.

It's actually used for cluster headaches, too.

Anyway, just a thought. I'm glad you're feeling better.

Amy

Hi,

Actually, midrin sent me to the ER with my heart racing and chest super tight. I guess we all react differently. Fingers crossed ibuprofen will keep my hormonal headaches at bay, if I take it before they get going. I've been careful to take it with food and with pepcid, to keep my stomach happy.

I'm towards the end of the vulnerable stretch--day 4 of my period. so far, if I take ibuprofen right at the very first inkling of a migraine, I've been okay. This has been every day, though for the past five days. I don't know if this is a good long term solution, or if it will work over the long haul. I guess it's good to know I tolerate ibuprofen, with all my other drug reactions. I do know that if I take nsaids too regularly, they bother my stomach.

I see my pcp in early December. I still don't have a new neurologist. If I tolerate the ibuprofen, I'd prefer that to taking a preventive.