Can Lumbar Puncture Cause Fever?

Angelika_23

Hello,

I am SICK. I feel awful. My tachy is coming and going and I am starting to run a low grade fever. My husband is afraid I have an infection or something from the LP. I am wondering if I just caught a virus or something at the wrong time, or maybe it's just POTS rearing its ugly head. :P

Does anyone know if this testing can cause our bodies to revolt?

Thanks,

Angela

Angela,

Sorry to hear your not feeling great, however in my professional opinion I agree that a lumbar puncture should not cause a pyrexia (fever) if the correct aseptic procedure was followed.

Take care x

Angela,

Do you have any pain in your neck? Is it super stiff or can you move it? When I had my LP I got a low grade fever as well and felt terrible - the docs kept asking if I was in pain and although I felt crappy all over, I did not have a stiff neck. I was scared I had an infection but they kept insisting I didn't. Apparently they were right, but if you DO have neck stiffness and pain, DEFINITELY call your doctor. That is a sign of an infection.

Hope you improve.