Excesive Salivation

anna

Hi,

One of my boys seems to produce too much saliver he drools a lot, he is 12 nearly 13 and finds this quite upseting, his paed. suggested a trial of some meds to reduce this but as poor son also has dry eyes paed. thought it better not to try these meds. I was just wondering if any of you have this problem, oh yes son also sweats lots hands and feet always wet.

Anna

Has he been diagnosed with a form of dysautonomia or other disorder?

I know that there are some disorders with these symptoms although I can't come up with any names etc. right now. But, likely dependent on the diagnosis and cause of symptoms is what the meds would be based off of. The other thing would be if the dr. wanted to (b/c I am no dr.) try something for the salivation and supplement with eye drops etc. for the dry eyes?

Also, the salivation is it due to any dental or orthodontal issues? Like braces, or malignment etc?

Wish I could be of help, but I don't really know... ;)

Has he been diagnosed with a form of dysautonomia or other disorder?

Thanks yes son has a tentative diagnosis of ANS dysfunction, also diagnosed with EDS and Essential Hereditory Myoclonus, the only meds he takes are for acid reflux and sometimes pain meds. He has had problems with drooling since being a baby, he does have a high ached pallet and over crowded teeth though. My main thought on this though is; could this excesive drooling, and excesive sweating be more of an ANS thing and might it be helped by sorting out his ANS?! I guess I should see what his GP. has to say I know he thinks I am a little mad always asking why etc, but just want to get my children sorted out as best as I can.

Thanks again,

Anna

There are good medications that can help, and the dose of these will probably be very low. Dry eyes is not a reason not to try these. As a pre-teen, he is probably very self-conscious about the problem, so I would encourage you to try the medications. These may include antihistamines, like benadryl, anticholinergics, like nortryptiline or any other that your pediatrician thinks is appropriate for your son. I am sure the medication will make a great difference. Good luck!

There are good medications that can help, and the dose of these will probably be very low. Dry eyes is not a reason not to try these. As a pre-teen, he is probably very self-conscious about the problem, so I would encourage you to try the medications. These may include antihistamines, like benadryl, anticholinergics, like nortryptiline or any other that your pediatrician thinks is appropriate for your son. I am sure the medication will make a great difference. Good luck!

Thank you Doctorguest I think you are right, paed. mentioned something about a patch son could wear! but then said might be a problem with sons eyes.

anyway thanks again.

Anna