Photos are online now

Hello everyone, I've posted the first installment...this set is from Wurmlingen, Tuttelingen, Lochmul, and Meersburg Germany.

Lochmul was a trip we took as part of Teri's conference--it was an adventure park and farm. More installments later...but Teri and I won the cow milking contest, which will make more sense when you see the pictures of the cows. We did zip lines, a wire bridge over a quarry, bull riding, etc.

Oh, and I'm obsessed with a tiny car called a "SmartCar". It's a joint project between Mercedes and Swatch. Perfect city car.

More to follow!

Germany

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=77mwjskn.3lgj...f&x=1&y=-ecn18r

Croatia

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=77mwjskn.3pzr...3&x=1&y=-o5immx

I had to post the photos on Ofoto because my webspace is very limited. The membership is free. Click on the "slideshow" option on the right side of the page, and you can automatically "play" the show, or flip through at your own pace using the arrow keysl... and then work your way through--I named each one so you can figure it out.

Nina

Edited by MightyMouse

This 2nd set include the last of the photos from Germany...and many photos from Croatia.

Zagreb is where we spent most of our time...and is where many of Teri's relatives live (in addition to Zadar and Omisalj). We drove about 2 hours northwest to the island of Krk ("kirk"), where Teri's relatives have a hotel and restaurant in the town of Omisalj (Ohm-iz-ahl-yeh) called U Barberi Gerga ("you barb-ehr-ee gay-er-guh" aka Uncle George's). Krk sits in the Adriatic Sea, and is hilly, with many cliffs overlooking the blue blue sea.

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=77mwjskn.3pzr...3&x=1&y=-o5immx

Nina

Hi nina

really liked your photos. Croatia is on our list of'countries we would like to visit for some years but we never finally went there. Who knows there are many more years (as we hope). We visited germany many times (mostly because it's so close to Holland) and we always liked being there.

When you were in Europe me and my family we went to England (to visit my father who lives in Cornwall) and as it was our first familyholiday with me in my wheelchair it really was a challenge. Sometimes very difficult and sometimes more easy than I thought it would be but it were 14 familydays which we needed very much. I think we can get used to our situation.

The smart-car you were talking about is a very common car overhere. I actually drove in one (which my husband took home from work) and it is very much fun there is room for only two persons but very nice to drive (and park!!!)in the city.

Hope you are already feeling well after this trip,

corina

Hi Corina, thanks for taking the time to look at the photos.

We really had a great time...and Zagreb would be pretty easy to get around in a wheel chair. Much of downtown is flat, except for the Kaptol neighborhood, which is hilly. Also, the two different hotels we stayed in had elevators, but the best one was definitely Hotel Dubrovnik, as the AC worked perfectly and was able to be adjusted in your room. Hotel Opera's AC was dicey at best...it blew, but was sometimes just a fan blowing around the hot air.

The northern area of Croatia is quite close to Germany. The flight was just an hour from Zurich, and Zurich is just a quick ride from the southern border of Germany.

Honestly, I found the the people in Croatia to be very welcoming. If you want to go, I'd suggest you do so before the swith to the Euro as your dollar with go farther. Also, development of the infrastructures are starting, such has highway expansion, which will mean development of some of the more remote areas and islands. There are such great expanses of undeveloped space, mountains, sea side land... it's so amazing to see such long, unbroken green stretches.

Let me know if you ever go! BTW, there are direct flights to/from Amsterdam, Paris, London, Zurich, Munich, etc. to Zagreb on Croatia Air. Actually, of all the flights we took, we enjoyed Croatia Air the best--new planes, nice staff, and there snacks were what most of us would have for a full meal.

Nina

Okay, last of the photos have been added to each album...and I've tried to put the photos in a more logical order--moved some that were in the wrong ablum (i.e. Germany photos that ended up in the Croatia set). Also, for those that looked on the first day, I've added captions and more useful titles.

Happy surfing! Nina

Hi Nina,

I've taken another look at your photos and again they're very nice. Especially the Reinfall ones and I also liked the Omisalj (spelling???)beach photos. Seems like the weather was very nice (and hot aswell?). Although most potspatients are very bad with the heat, I'm very bad with the cold (wonder how that's possible) and very much like the heat. In holland it's 26 degrees celsius right now and I'm still wearing two t-shirts and a jeansjacket inside the house. :)

Anyway I would just love to visit Croatia and since my husband works at KLM we possibly could fly over and rent a car. What's for dinner in Croatia, do they eat lambsmeat ?(we absolutely don't like that). Well, who knows, we maybe go over there some time.

BTW, where in germany is Meersburg (never heard of it). I liked the photos and I really like the old towncenters in Germany except for the pavement that's often unsuitable for wheelchairs. Well, hope you're doing fine,

Corina

Hello again Corina :)

Dinner did offer many lamb choices--however, in the upper areas of Istra (aka Istria), it's more like Italian cuisine--lots of fish, seafood, noodles, olives, etc. As you head inland and south, you get more hearty fare that is a blend of many cultures.

Zagreb's cuisine was filled with sausages, cured meats, cooked meats including much turkey, beef and lamb choices, and sometimes chicken, but more often turkey. There were roasted items, kabobs (on wooden skewers), stewed items (much like their Hungarian neighbors with paprikash), something similar to slow smoked barbeque made on a stone grill, covered with an iron dome and then the dome is covered with smokey wood coals...reminds me of a Turkish tagine (covered clay pot for slow cooking), potatoes, corn. Also, like in Germany, there is much shredded cabbage with vinegar, pickles, etc.

Breakfast was familiar, with hard boiled eggs, cheeses and cured meats, fresh fruits, juice and bottled water. The coffee in Zagreb was particularly good.

The weather in Croatia was wonderful. Not even a drop of rain while we were there. Germany had rain every day, but only in short bursts, so there was still plenty of time to enjoy outdoors.

Getting around in a wheel chair: yes, many streets are cobblestone in older Eurpean towns, which would be hard for a chair. Parts of Zagreb have lots of cobblestone, but less so than we saw int eh towns of Germany. However, in Zagreb, there were also many regular sidewalks--if you look at photos of the central square, you can see that the walkways are exceptionally smooth.

For me, the biggest hurdles were in Croatia because of the scarcity of airconditioning. You and I are opposites in that regard! I'd take a fridgid day over a warm one any time! :wub:

Nina

Meersburg is on Lake Konstanz...you can see it on the map here. There is a castle there...plenty of shopping...however, unless you have an all-terrain-wheelchair :) it would be tough going for you. Incredibly hilly too--there is an upper and lower portion of town.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?city=...ermany&size=big

Thanks for all your information Nina, it was real fun talking about this. I once was educated in tourism so it's nice hearing what people think of their holiday destination. It's my dream (and my husbands) to buy (or rent) ourselves a big camper and travel all over the world (coming to write this down I can imagine places where I would rather NOT be at this moment). For now I'm going to bed, I don't know what time it is where you live, but here in Holland it's 10.10 pm and since it was a very nice warm day my husband and I went for a long walk which I enjoyed very much but (although in my wheelcahir) I got very tired as well B) So good night,

Corina