Anyone Know Where To Get Those Cooling Vests?

Maxine

I can't remember whether I posted it here, but I have one from Arctic Heat. Instead of pockets where you insert frozen packs, it has built in "ribs" of gel that freeze when you pop it into the freezer. It weights about half as much. They also give a medical discount. I ordered mine from the home site in Australia and it came out less expensive (even with postage) than ordering from the US site. You can also pop it into the microwave in the winter. They make several types of "garments" I also got a head band. Here is the Australian site. You have to ask for the discount. http://www.arcticheat.com.au/

I use it whenever I go outside. If I am driving, after the car cools down I put it in a light weight cooler with an ice block till I want it again.

I decided to get mine from Coolsport--while it's heavier, the material that cools you off stays cold for about 2 hours at a time and refreezes quickly if you follow the instructions. I bought a second set of gel packs so I can always have a cold set without down time where I have to go inside or find shelter, ice water or a freezer. Ice water is the fastest way to recharge the packs.

Also, the packs don't "sweat" when they're on you, so your skin stays dry--another reason I decided on the more expensive coolsport.

Good luck with your choice. Nina

I'm thinking they sound like a good idea, too! I don't suppose they can get prescribed? Maybe it'll just be a good birthday present to myself!

Let me know how it works for you, Maxine!

I'm thinking of getting one of these too for use at work. My work place doesn't have air conditioning and I have to move about a lot from room to room so bringing in my own fan won't work. I'm already wearing blouses of fabric that is so thin that even flesh coloured bras show through. If I wear any less I'll probably be accused of being indecent!

We haven't got to the hottest part of the year yet so I can't imagine that things will improve over the next few months. Will have to make that investment I think. Just don't know how I will go about recharging the cool packs whilst at work - we don't have a freezer or ice machine either.

Flop

Personally, I LOVE my vest. It's made it possible for me to do things that I otherwise would have never been able to do--I climbed a pyramid in Mexico at Coba (pronounce Coh-pah), I've gone on a private tour of mangroves in the Florida Keys, I've been able to garden, mow my lawn in the Summer, go to picnics, and of course, go to work where I have no AC most of the time.

When I'm not using the vest, I keep it in our freezer, along with the extra packs. When I'm using it, I wear the vest and keep the extra packs in a soft-sided portable cooler that's intended for carrying beer or soda for picnics or tailgating at sports events, etc. I also keep EXTRA cold packs that I got at the grocery store--the ones with blue gel in them, and I pile them around the coolsport packs. This keeps them frozen all day.

As a last resort to recharge the packs, I can purchase a bag of ice from the local liquor shop, dump it into the cooler bag and fill with water too to make a slush--the slush is the fastest way to recharge the packs.

Nina

Thanks Nina,

it sounds like I need to invest in a jacket and at least one set of spare cool packs and a bigger cool-bag to keep them in. I already have loads of the blue gel cool things for the bag as I tend to wrap them in a small towel and use them to cool myself down at home.

I've also found that standing a couple of frozen gel cool packs in front of a fan really cools down the air that is blown towards you - a great half-way house between a fan and proper AC.

Flop