Chest Pain

mkoven

I've had chest pain on and off today. It's so hard to tell whether it's ribs, reflux, pots/ncs or something new, as I know I have the first three. I hate it. Hubby's out of town, which stresses me out. I guess it's also been really hot and I was in the sun, which didn't help. Not wearing the stockings (because it's too hot and I"m getting over a yeast infection), and my bp is lowish (90/60).

I think I'm okay. It feels similar to other times when I've gone to the ER and they haven't found anything, so I felt semi-sure that it was okay to take a pass. Movement seemed to make some piece of it worse. And I'm acidic. And lightheaded-- so probably all 3 (ribs/acid/pots)?

Oy.

Compression in the heat - have you thought about trying thigh high or knee high compression whilst you get over the yeast infection?

My cardiologist tells me that as I get a benefit from knee high 40mmHg compression that I won't get any additional benefit from full leg (not sure that I believe him on this one but the knee highs do certainly help). Might be a compromise and help your BP a bit in this heat?

Hope you're resting lots and feeling better soon,

Flop

Thanks, you guys. I am feeling better. I do have some knee-highs, and have to say they don't work quite as well, but I guess better than not wearing anything. I have visible varicose veins on my thighs, so I probably need them higher. But I know--better some than none. I just wish that they breathed better. Even my toes get itchy!

My husband has been gone for a week and comes back today. The apartment is a sty and I should tidy up some...

Thanks,

Michele

Don't over do things trying to tidy up for your husband's return. I'm sure that you want everything to be nice for him but I bet he'd rather have an untidy flat than a wife who had made herself more unwell by dashing about. Just explain to him how you feel and then gradually sort ot the mess as you are able to.

Note, my sister has gone away for a few days and my flat currently looks like a bombsite. I have managed to hang up the wet laundry - seemed like the most important task, at least we will both have clean dry clothes to wear.

Flop

Hi Michele, my chest pain came back too (around a week ago). I am not sure if it is because of the warm weather or just because my blood pressure is still too low all the time. We checked it today and it was 70,5/40 - which is even lower than the 80-40 I used to have...

No idea how it happens to you, but to me it starts with a chest discomfort while standing and ends up with chest pain, dizzyness, being lightheaded and confused... Then I start having the feeling that I will faint...

Sitting and even more, lying down (with my legs above) makes me feel better. Much better if I rest and sleep for a while + if I drink plenty of fluids.

How does it happen to you?

I hope you are better now. Leave the homework for a better moment, your health is more important.

Take care,

Love,

Tessa

Severe or unusual chest pain needs evaluation from a doctor. If you feel your pain does not warrant a trip to the ER try increasing your fluids. Sounds like an easy fix but it is possible that the heat is causing you to dehydrate quicker than usual so you need to up the fluids. Dehydration (even mild) can cause chest pain according to my cardiologist's nurse. Good luck- but if you are worried, it's better to be safe and ease your mind.

Carmen

I feel okay today.

It is hard to decide when to go in. I guess I tell myself that if it feels like something I've felt before, that's been thoroughly worked up, and judged to be the usual ribs/reflux/pots, then I'd rather skip it. The er is such a miserable experience and very little comes of it. If I felt something different, I'd go in.

I've had the usual tests: stress echo, 2 event recorders, ekg, bloodwork, etc. The only thing that's ever come through is tachycardia, but normal rhythm.

The ep didn't do a tilt table as there's no way my eds joints could tolerate standing still without serious pain, and my symptoms matched. (I can walk MUCH longer than I can stand. Static postures are murder on my poor hips, pelvis, knees, and feet.) He thought a clear case of ncs with my description of when symptoms occur (standing, peeing, prolonged sitting, heat and allergies, period, etc.)

I've been trying to drink, drink, drink and salt it up. And today I'm back to my "normal." (It's nice to have an excuse to eat salt, when everyone else I know has to moderate. I just tell them that I don' have a license to eat fat and sugar with my salt-- so it's not a total greenlight on junkfood. My new drinks are peach propel and "virgin maries"-- tomato juice with worcestshire(sp?) sauce and tabasco.)