Dehydration

jlmahon

I went to PCP on Thursday because I've been having a problem with drinking fluids lately. Whenever my gut acts up as far as the gastroparesis and the intestinal dysmotility, I feel like I'm in for a bad few weeks. Well, my PCP did an xray to rule out an obstruction and said that was ok and told me to go home and continue with miralax 2x daily to keep things moving in my digestive tract. I asked him if he could order IV fluid and he said that while I appeared dehydrated I should be ok. He said that if I was really badly dehydrated, my blood pressure would be really low (it was 100/60 in his office). I reminded him it's been around 118/75 (good for me I think because of the epogen). Yesterday, I could barely get out of bed. I ended up calling Dr. Grubb's office and they told me to go to ER because I wasn't drinking much and hadn't urinated in over 24 hours. I really hate going there as I'm sure you all do. The doctor there wasn't really helpful (a jerk actually!!) and asked me how I knew so much about my conditions. They took blood and said my electrolytes and kidney function studies were normal so I wasn't dehydrated. They wanted a urine sample but I tried and wasn't able to give one. I told them I hadn't urinated since the day before. They gave me a liter of fluid and sent me home. I am feeling a little better today. I'm trying to slowly sip fluids to hydrate myself. They seem to be staying down so maybe I'm on the upswing. I just had to share my frustrating experience.

:angry: I truly hate to hear of your frustrating experience,but I hate so say that it makes feel better that I am not alone.btw, how are you feeling now ? ER visits are the worst. About a month ago I was hospitalized for 3 days for coughing and SOB,after the first few hrs.they ruled out heart problems and any water retention.I practically begged for a bag of fluid,anyway 3 days in the hospital and no fluids(the 1 thing that makes us feel better).I have a least a dozen more stories,but I'll leave them for another time. Where do you live.Take care hope you feel better,HUGS Pat

Hey,

I'm so sorry you had such a lousy experience. Obviously, not urinating for 24 hours is not normal, and I'm sorry everyone was such a loser.

I hope you're feeling better now, but it might be helpful if, especially if Grubb is your doctor and he finds out that they refused to help, to get a prescription or standing order for IV fluids, so that when your gastroparesis acts up, you can just go in, hook up for a few hours, and then go home. I don't have one, but there are some here who do. Hopefully the ER peeps would give you less grief that way.

Hugs,

Megan

Here are a few of tips (from personal bad experiences) --

Find out what your electrolytes are when you ARE hydrated (after an IV or a big water day) and get a copy of your lab test and keep it at hand. Then you (or ER docs) can use it to compare with dehydration numbers. Some people (me at times, and others I know) drink so much that their electrolytes may all run low and "normal" for them often means dehydration. This is especially true in hotter weather as we drink more and then may miss a day or so of getting enough.

Some doctors use BUN as the indicator for hydration. If your total proteins tend to be low or low normal, then your BUN will be low. Again, if it looks normal or high normal, for you that may mean dehydration. If you have a copy of a lab test to take with you to prove this, they will HAVE to pay attention. Nursing homes often make this mistake. If you don't eat/digest/absorb enough protein, this may be true for you.

Some people know they are anemic, or were recently, or tend to be. If an ER or other doc says you are not anemic, then your blood may be more concentrated from dehydration, making it look normal when for you it isn't. Have a lab test copy to prove this if you are going to someone who doesn't know you. I know someone who got in real trouble from an ER doc who didn't believe he was dehydrated until the regular doc was called. Fortunately, the regular doc knew he was always a little anemic and "normal" meant dehydration for him. An IV was started and did the trick.

Under HIPAA, you have a right to copies of your records. Carry ones to prove your points.

Good luck.

OLL