Jump to content

Bleach, Cleaning Stuff


luckygoat3
 Share

Recommended Posts

Does anyone else have problems w/ bleach or even disinfectants? I have a part time job and they use a lot of bleach and disinfectants...it's an animal boarding place. I seem to get a headache more, sick to stomache and just general blah feeling after doing dishes and cleaning pens.

Tips, ideas, should i just give a two week notice, i mean they do dishes AM and PM and of course cleaning the kennels both shifts. I like the job, but sometimes the boss can be a pain. I haven't told them about POTS either, they know i get migraines.

susie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh yes, I have bad problems with smells triggering my migraines too. I smell the disinfectant in the store before buying it. If it smells like lemon or orange, a more natural smell, I have a better chance of tolerating it. I would suggest trying a mask which might help to block out odors at work. However, I find it difficult to breath and hot while wearing a mask. I use Oust which removes odor from the air, but I don't know how practical that would be with those odors at work all day long.

Migraine brains are thought to be more hyperexcitable, meaning we are more sensitive to the environment. It is not uncommon to have smells as triggers for migraines. Perfumes and scented lotions are the killers for me. To get more understanding and cooperation, I tell people that I am allergic to perfume. People don't seem to care about causing someone to have a migraine, but everyone is much more attentive about allergies.

Karyn

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Method- one of Target's brands- has a no-dye, no-perfume cleaner that works pretty well. It doesn't sterilize like bleach, but it gets the dirt off and that's what you need most of the time.

I also recommend 7th Generation cleaners- no dye, no-perfume dishwashing detergent (plus it's better for the earth!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I sure know how you feel. I have a huge problem with cleaners of any kind. I have a thing about germs and don't feel that it's not clean enough unless it is bleached. I guess I got this from my mother who is the same way. I still use clorox sprays and toilet cleaner, I just get my hubby or kids to do it for me as they see what it does to me. I have trouble breathing and my throat get all scratchy and sore and I'm tired for hours after smelling it. I try to help clean when I can and I use the clorox wipes in the fresh sent...it doesn't bother me at all. No Pinesol that is the one cleaner I can not stand. I can go somewhere to a store or friends house and if they have used it at all then I can tell the minute I walk in the door and I have to leave. I can't breath with that stuff.

I would try to talk to your job about the effects it is having on your health. Maybe they would be willing to change brands. I wouldn't just quit my job..I would love to be able to work again, I get bored at home. But on the same hand if you job is not willing to accommodate you then you might want to look for another job that you enjoy as much as this one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...